Yard sale finds.... Calstar DHS 220 and Seeker SJ90F!

Started by pjstevko, April 09, 2022, 11:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

That Cal isn't good for much . Send it to me for proper disposal  :fish
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rocket Dog

Quote from: pjstevko on April 14, 2022, 01:08:14 AMThe Seeker couldn't even lift 18# off the ground. I wouldn't lift anymore because I was scared the rod would explode....

Yikes...  line rating is not indicative of a dead weight lifting power. Try 10 - 15 lbs max, but if you don't like it, I'm always in the market for another jig stick. :d

jurelometer

Don't want to bend the rod in a "U" for a deadlift test (or to play a fish).  I think you might have too much line out in that photo.  With a long rod, you will also need to stand on a raised platform  of some sort.  The tip should be vertical, and the butt lifted no farther than horizontal (i.e., a  90 degree bend).

Adding weight will make the rod bend more deeply toward the butt (but still don't lift past horizontal to test, just take in a bit more line). I have no idea what the safe or effective maximum bend depth should be for an older nine foot fiberglass jig stick.

A rod pointed straight at the fish has unlimited load capacity, the more the rod is bent, the more the load is concentrated to a smaller and smaller section of the blank moving toward the tip.  So to some extent, the load capacity depends on how you are able to fight the fish.  And don't forget all that leverage working against you with a long casting rod with a deep bend.

Heard stories that when a long range vet hooks a big fish on a long jig stick, they hand the rod off to a rookie and go back to the rack for a fresh stick :)

In terms of redoing the grips, have you thought about cord wrapping?

-J