Yard sale finds.... Calstar DHS 220 and Seeker SJ90F!

Started by pjstevko, April 09, 2022, 11:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I scored two great older deckhand model rods today at a local yard sale.

The first one is an older 8`6" Calstar DHS 220 rated 15-30#. The blank and guides appears to be in good shape but the cork wrap will need to be replaced. I'm unsure what the intended use of this rod is due to its very parabolic characteristics. Seems a little long for a bait rod,  maybe light surface iron?

The second is an older Seeker Cal-Coast Special SJ90F-CT 30-50#. The blank and guides are in great shape but the cork wrap will need to be replaced. This is a classic old school surface iron rod from what I can tell.

I paid the asking price and ran away before the cops arrived... Paid $20 each!

Bill B

You do well grasshopper 😉. Cork wrap is cheap.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

220 is one of my favorites for flylining when the bait is small, a really good rod for salmon mooching too.  Maybe albacore when the bait is small. 15-20 line.  Not great for bigger tuna and yellows. I use mine a lot for the 3 Bs locally, mines a sabre grafast.  $20 is a steal
The Seeker would be good for lighter jigs, colt snippers, tady C's, JRI stingers and that sort of thing
Deal of the week right there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Pics added...

Now I just gotta get them Khan so he can fix the handle and look over the guides and wraps.

Not sure where they'll fit in my arsenal but I couldn't pass up on such a great deal

Swami805

220 with a small reel full of 20lb for yellows and dorado on kelps when they've been pounded by other boats and are finicky.  They can't rock you out in the deep.  I'd bring it for sure

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

sciaenops

No brainer "investments" for sure  lol. Got 2/3 of your 3/4d quiver covered now.

SoCalAngler

In my opinion the Seeker rod is good for 40 lb test. You should have no problems fishing Tady 45, Salas 7X lights, 6X jr's and such.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

pjstevko

The Seeker couldn't even lift 18# off the ground. I wouldn't lift anymore because I was scared the rod would explode....

funhog

...call out for the gaff.  that's why they have them on the boat :)

pjstevko

Someone pointed out that trying to lift 18# would rate this on the drag scale at a 60# rod..... So I'm going to try to lift something more in line with the rods line rating when I get back from my trip

SoCalAngler

It should lift 13 lb no problem.

Edit: from your picture that's where you would start your wind down on the fish not lift higher on it ,or you could high stick the rod and snap the tip

Swami805

It's a 30lb rod, light jigs,school fish type thing