Millionaire CT SV, all prepped for trout season

Started by tincanary, April 16, 2022, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Here we have a JDM Daiwa Millionaire CT SV, Daiwa's round finesse baitcaster.  I decided to make it more finesse friendly by adding a SLP Works shallow spool, ceramic micro bearings, a drag clicker, and swapped out the old orange spool spacers for some custom silver aluminum spacers.  For the finishing touch, I got a pair of mahogany knobs to finish it off.  Those knobs really set it off, almost like they were designed for round reels in the first place.  2 more weeks till the trout opener here in Michigan, she's been spooled with 50 yards of 8lb Berkley X5.  The next couple weeks are going to go by slow.

Wompus Cat

Fine Artwork !
Make a bulldog Bite His Chain !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

purdy
look into 5-8# PP Ice Braid
very convenient 50/80/100-yd small pony spools
I like blue, rather than green, for "small-water" lighter applications
IMO, blue is stealthy enough w/ foliage in background, while green sticks out w/ sky in background
plus, blue is MUCH more visible above water, for ME...  to detect line movement

JasonGotaProblem

Beautiful, as expected. I'm gonna start looking at wood knobs now.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: philaroman on April 16, 2022, 10:07:35 PMpurdy
look into 5-8# PP Ice Braid
very convenient 50/80/100-yd small pony spools
I like blue, rather than green, for "small-water" lighter applications
IMO, blue is stealthy enough w/ foliage in background, while green sticks out w/ sky in background
plus, blue is MUCH more visible above water, for ME...  to detect line movement
I like to use high visibility stuff trout fishing, the spots I fish seem to have more wood than water at times lol.  Running the bright stuff lets me see where my bait is in relation to the logjams and root wads.
 I like to run about 5' to 6' of 6lb Ultragreen for a leader to lower visibility and not spook the fish.  When I first delved into trout fishing 10 years back, there were days I was donating $20+ worth of baits to the wood gods.  I think my record on one trip was over $60.  Now I run the bright line and all of my baits have been fitted with single barbless hooks, my wood god tribute has gone down substantially.  I might lose just a few per season now.

Breadfan

That is a fine looking reel! What is the lightest bait you can cast with that?

tincanary

Quote from: Breadfan on April 18, 2022, 01:17:57 PMThat is a fine looking reel! What is the lightest bait you can cast with that?

As of now, I can cast YoZuri pins minnows outfitted with #8 single inline hooks from my Major Craft Troutino which is rated 1g to 8g.  The pins minnow weighs 1.7g as it is now.  As for distance, I couldn't say.  I built this for short pitches along the banks of creeks and headwaters where it performs wonderfully.  The SV spools are a little choked off so it wouldn't be a distance reel regardless.  I actually received a new rod today, well it's on my door step until I return from work.  I took advantage of the great exchange rate and ordered a 5'1"L Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive to round it out.

DougK

Quote from: tincanary on April 17, 2022, 11:10:21 AMI like to use high visibility stuff trout fishing..

first time out with finesse spin tackle with the usual clear/grey line, had no idea where my lures were ;-)
actually used a bit of Loon putty strike indicator from the fly-fishing bag.
Now use the brightest lines I can find, with a 3-4' fluoro leader..

that's a beautiful reel, nicely done !

took my Ambassadeur 4600C4 out to the creek, no fish but it's a fun outfit..

tincanary

Quote from: DougK on April 18, 2022, 10:53:48 PM
Quote from: tincanary on April 17, 2022, 11:10:21 AMI like to use high visibility stuff trout fishing..

first time out with finesse spin tackle with the usual clear/grey line, had no idea where my lures were ;-)
actually used a bit of Loon putty strike indicator from the fly-fishing bag.
Now use the brightest lines I can find, with a 3-4' fluoro leader..

that's a beautiful reel, nicely done !

took my Ambassadeur 4600C4 out to the creek, no fish but it's a fun outfit..

That's a sweet setup.  The Ambassadeur is one of my favorites.  You know, AMO makes a finesse spool for the 4000 size Ambassadeurs, runs around $60.  A guy on another forum has one with it and throws 1/8 from a ML.  I've been contemplating getting one myself.

Breadfan

Something I have to get into now. I really like that throwing light lures/baits with baitcasters has become a reality now! If we only had trout down here...

tincanary

Quote from: Breadfan on April 19, 2022, 02:38:57 PMSomething I have to get into now. I really like that throwing light lures/baits with baitcasters has become a reality now! If we only had trout down here...
It's also a lot of fun fishing crappies and bull gills. 

DougK

Quote from: tincanary on April 18, 2022, 10:57:39 PMThat's a sweet setup.  The Ambassadeur is one of my favorites.  You know, AMO makes a finesse spool for the 4000 size Ambassadeurs, runs around $60. 

I have the AMO spool on there - reel cost me $50, spool $60 ;-)
After upgrading the bearings to ceramic, replacing the levelwind gear with a ballbearing one, and polishing everything in sight, the reel can throw 1.5g easily. I'm not yet good enough for 1g consistently, 2g and up flies. It's my primary BFS reel now, also have a Revo4X with ultralight spool and upgraded bearings, but the old 4600C works just as well as the modern reel.