Shimano tld 15 loose handle

Started by Eddie Hernandez, April 16, 2022, 10:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All purchased two shimano tld 15 lever drag reels and one of the handles has alot of play on it. I can move the shaft of the main gear up and down. Has anyone ever encountered  this issue? I have not yet opened the reel up.

Hardy Boy

It might be missing/ or need a shim or two on top of the gear shaft (# 79 gear shaft thrust washer) under the cap under the handle (#78 gear shaft shield.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

jurelometer

If by "up and down", you mean that the shaft has radial looseness when rotating (as opposed to axial where the shaft moves in and out), something else to consider:

There is a plain bearing (AKA bushing) in the right sideplate that the main/handle shaft turns on.  If the reel has been heavily used, this can get worn and oval out, causing some handle shaft radial sloppyness.   The wear should be visible, but you can also try swapping sideplates with the good reel to find out for sure. 

You have to replace the entire sideplate to get a new bushing, but TLD sideplates are not very pricey.

Might also a good idea to check the shaft and main/pinion gear teeth for wear when the problem is the sideplate bushing.

-J

Hardy Boy

I read back and forth not up and down. If its not tight in the hole/ bushing and is loose, wobbly than what Dave says is correct. If you can pull it out and push back in then check shims.

Todd
Todd

Eddie Hernandez

Thank you all for all the info!! Just to clarify the movement of the drive shaft is in and out. I opened up the reel and I did notice the gear shield washer is missing! I will look at the schematic to see what else might be missing. When I removed handles on both  the reels and exposed the drive shaft to compare the in & out movement the good reel had slight movement when compared to the other. Wish I could display a video to you guys Definitely going to swap side plates !!!

handi2

Quote from: Hardy Boy on April 17, 2022, 02:52:22 PMIt might be missing/ or need a shim or two on top of the gear shaft (# 79 gear shaft thrust washer) under the cap under the handle (#78 gear shaft shield.

Cheers:

Todd

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/medium/104_0887.JPG

That's it..!

It's shown on the schematic too. Almost all of the TLD reels use that washer.

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/500/medium/104_0887.JPG
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Eddie Hernandez

20220417_151600.jpg20220417_151501.jpg 
1st pic is the drive shaft in out position
2nd pic is in the in position