Cals Light

Started by oldcatcher, February 03, 2012, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcatcher

From reading other posts on the Cals Light (Purple) it mentions that it is targeted for colder climates, I also see where guys are using it on lighter reels.

I live in Western New York State (Niagara Falls/Buffalo area), I troll November & until Dec15th for Muskies, weather can get cold so I was thinking the Cals Light would be the way to go.
However, I troll big muskie baits with Tekota 700LC and Tekota 600LC so the comments on guys using the Cals purple on lighter reels concerns me or at least leaves some doubt that it would be the best choice for the equipment I use, better in cold weather or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, first time poster here, unbelievable knowledge base.

-Dave

alantani

on drag washers, i do not believe that cold weather makes a difference.  cal sheets, however, wants his grease to be used all through the reel.  that's where the viscosity of the grease becomes a factor.  i actually never use cal's grease anywhere else, just drag washers.  for all other areas, i use either yamaha marine grease or corrosion x.  for spool bearings, it is always tsi 301.  welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I read the info on the grease as well, and thought to try a little.  I used it on spinners but haven't caught anything substantial yet.  But if you rub in the grease and wipe off the excess, it should not make a difference if you are using the the light versus universal, now that I think about it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oldcatcher

Quote from: alantani on February 03, 2012, 07:57:36 AM
on drag washers, i do not believe that cold weather makes a difference.  cal sheets, however, wants his grease to be used all through the reel.  that's where the viscosity of the grease becomes a factor.  i actually never use cal's grease anywhere else, just drag washers.  for all other areas, i use either yamaha marine grease or corrosion x.  for spool bearings, it is always tsi 301.  welcome!

Thanks for the quick responses Alan & Bryan...................

The explanation on Cal's being used primarily for the drag washers makes sense and shouldn't be a factor in colder weather.

I've done a ton of reading here yesterday (at work  ;D ) and back at my hotel last night (I travel a bunch for work)

I'm 95% trolling and 5% jigging or casting, I don't use the Tekota's except for trolling, it does get cold, not uncommon to awake to +10degF to +15degF (sometimes colder) mornings.

From what I've read, for trolling applications only, 100% grease (no tsi 301 needed) is OK?
I'll also be picking up new carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag.

I troll big baits a bunch and when checking lines under power these babies (tekota's) are getting a workout to say the least.

I'm a do-it your-selfer for most things, having three daughters that couldn't afford new cars and being a jeep cj-7 nut keeps you under vehicles honing your mechanical skills more than you'd like.  ;D

I've attached a pic of one of my trolling days this early December.

Thanks again for the input.

-Dave

Bryan Young

Hi Dave,

That looks awfully cold. For spool bearings, even for trolling, I would still recommend opening them up and using TSI301. It will work in cold weather.  Grease may thicken in cold weather, which will turn those bearings into bushings until warmed up.  For the other bearings, I would probably try to inject corrosionX HD for that application.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oldcatcher

Appreciate the input Bryan.

I'll get both products on order.

-Dave

Nessie Hunter

Bbbbrrrrrrrrr.  That snow & Ice on the boat makes me shiver!!!   lol

Now thats dedication..........
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

oldcatcher

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on February 03, 2012, 06:47:23 PM
Bbbbrrrrrrrrr.  That snow & Ice on the boat makes me shiver!!!   lol

Now thats dedication..........

hahahaha It's a labor of love Nessie Hunter.
Troll some pretty raw conditions at times in this neck of the woods.
Many days without as much as a rip let alone get one to the net, but that's fall muskie fishing here.

-Dave

wallacewt

could you use graphite reels for muskie fishing?.bit warmer on the hands

oldcatcher

Don't see why you couldn't use Graphite reels.
Ya really don't handle the reels much when trolling, unlike casting where your hands are contacting the reel more.

Good thought though .

-Dave

redsetta

A labour of love indeed!
Well done Dave - that's pure commitment.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Hey Oldcatcher:  At least you don't have to worry about the beer getting warm. :D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Beer occasionally freezes here.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldcatcher

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 08, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
Hey Oldcatcher:  At least you don't have to worry about the beer getting warm. :D.  Dominick

During late fall/start of winter here I'm pretty much a hot coffee guy, often bring two stanley thermos bottles.

Love to toss a few back as much as anybody, but when I'm fishing...... I'm fishing  ;D

I've ordered some cal's light, tsi301 & tsi322 plus corrosionx hd, still need to get some carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag.

Here is a nice late season fall fattie muskie from this year.

-Dave

Jimmer

Nice Ski Dave! Looks like an easy 50"
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann