Belleville Stack Height old international 30 help

Started by RickC, April 20, 2022, 06:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickC

I'm not a reel expert but I am a tool maker and this reel is driving me crazy. Does any one have the Belleville stack height measurement written down anywhere for an old international 30.  This one does have the dura-drag currently installed, so does that make a difference in what the stack height should be? bellevilles measure .03 thick each and I'm measuring about .215 ()() across all 4.  I just added a bearing sleeve that I made 1.341 long; which measures about .003 longer than the bearing seats on the spool.  I'm loosing free spool very early at about 12-15lbs at strike and I'm baffled why? I have to turn the drag adjustment knob about a 1 1/2 turns before I start to get any drag(thinking I need to add shims to get drag earlier?) on the lever and at 1 3/4 turns I lose free spool. Or am I just missing something completely?

thorhammer

Hey Rick, Welcome! We love having some tool making skillzzzz on this site- it's where most if not all the upgrades designed here came from. I'm still tryin to figure out the ideal on my own Gen 1 30's, but Alan or someone will be alog directly to advise.

John

handi2

The Belleville washers go like this.

()()

But..

Sometimes that won't work.

Try this.  (())

Get rid of the bearing sleeve.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RickC

Thanks for the welcome John. I ordered new Bellevilles and a new drag washer plate. So the plan is to get the reel working as originally intended. ()() or (()) this way.. I'm starting to think the cam isn't getting the travel it's supposed to when the drag lever is pushed forward. Shimming in between the Belleville and the bearing makes the adjustment screw work earlier but I still lose free spool way before I should. How much should the cam move torward the spool; let's say from free spool all the way past strike to full?  .030, .050 or more like .125.  Sorry I'm a tool maker it's all about numbers.   ::)

RickC

I just measured the cam and the difference between the high end and the low end is .010 on one side and .015 on the other. 
Alan I saw where you reworked the cam on another reel.  Does anyone have some dimensions of this cam?