Penn international 50S clamp screw problem

Started by steelfish, April 22, 2022, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have this old Penn international 50S II-Speed with the holes for the Studs bigger than the two different stock sizes for this reel model.

please check the pictures they will help a lot to understand the problem.

the owner just told me he bought the reel online and gave it to me for a service and it was missing the whole rod clamp kit, so I ordered one from Mystic.
the thread of screw that attach to the reel base was thinner than the hole on the screw, so I checked on mystic and Maureen was kind to tell me that exist two different sizes of studs for that model, so I ordered a different set of screws, to my surprise they didnt fit either, same deal, the hole on the screw was bigger  than the screw diameter.

I went back to Maureen and she told me that there was no other option to get, checking the pictures I sent her she told me that seemed that previous owner made some custom threaded holes for a reason (??) so, the reel dont accept stock screws for the reel clamp.

according to my measures the hole on the reel is 19/64 (I might be off + -) and the diameter of the stock stud screws are 1/4 and 7/32

now, this was 3 years ago, just before the pandemic and now I taking this pending job again, I searched a lot for a adapter plug for 15/64 male to 1/4 female but no avail, I also considered a plug from 1/3 to 1/4 but I dont know if my small local Machine-shop could do that kind of job but I still have to find the plug and hoping the 1/4 female thread match the thread on the stock penn screws.

so, sounds like long shot so I dont have much high hopes on that.

any other plan to adapt the rod clamp to this good reel?

PS: I though on JB weld the 7/32 screws to the reel but Im afraid that a good over-tight on the reel clamp will break the glue.
The Baja Guy

foakes

Alex —-

I just use round head SS screws.

Get the length you need —- then insert from the inside outwards —- lock it on with a SS hex nut.

Should be OK doing this.  If there is any sort of spool/line clearance issue (doubtful) —- then just grind the round head a little lower.

I have done this a few times on stripped out or corroded aluminum frames.

It is actually stronger than factory.

It is a way to save a good reel without buying an expensive or not-available aluminum frame.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

hmmm  :al  :al

so, something like this next kit, right?

Get the length you need —- then insert from the inside outwards —- lock it on with a SS hex nut.

so, it really doesnt matter it the screw diameter is not the exact diameter of the hole since many reels have a elongated hole to adapt different widths of blanks.

I own you a beer or a cold diet coke  :d

time to get some measures of the length of the SS screw and order them.
The Baja Guy

handi2

This is the reason I do not try to force these rod bolts out.

They are brass..!

If they don't easily move with a 7/16" box end wrench I stop. You can never get them drilled easily out without ruining the softer aluminum frame.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL