Extrem cold and greased drag question

Started by Keta, February 03, 2012, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Has anyone tried soaking carbon fiber drag washers in ATF?  My greased drags are not functioning well when it gets cold, like 18° to 35° F and they set on ice or snow waiting for a bite.  I can degrease a reel but I don't want to go back to dry drags. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

I use cal's purple in the winter (and summer), i rub the grease off till they look dry and they work well. I'm fishing fresh water,  trolling with star drag reels. previous to cal's I used super lube on my drags, wiping them dry and that worked too. Don't know about ATF, seems like it would be like applying a light oil, never done that.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

ATF can be thickened with paraffin but it's a petroleum product.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

Cals has a Light Grease for colder environments...

Smoothdrags.com has it available.....

Cal's Lighter Grade Reel Grease: 1 oz. ............ $7.00

1 pound lighter grease $24.00
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

Hi Keta,  How many reels are you thinking of doing, and what kind?  I could send you a sample of the purple stuff to see how it works out for you.  PM me the info and your address.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Mark Twain