A YELLOWTAIL JIG CASTING ROD

Started by Cor, April 26, 2022, 03:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

This sort of started here!
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34924.msg412576#msg412576

For the past two years I have been saying that I need to sell some of my excess tackle,  as I no longer fish as much as I used to, but impulsively changed my mind.   I just wanted to do something different and believe me paying $325-00 for a blank is very different!   In real terms this is also much more buying power here then in the USA, because of our very weak currency.

I started by ordering a rod based on Specs on their website and recommendation from a Rod Builder, that was a disaster, I returned it the same day and paid the courier twice.   One of my younger mates has 5 Black Hole rods and I was allowed to take any and test them.   He was away, I became impatient and just went ahead.

I then tested 3 of his rods, 2 were suitable and I ordered  a Black Hole USA Striped Bass Special Surf Blanks 10'' 1-6oz .  This rod is faster action and much more like I am used to.

The purpose of this build it to make a light weight, medium strength Yellowtail rod for casting jigs.

Well the blank arrived yesterday, see photos.

It is unbelievably thin 14.5 mm (0.6 inches) at the back.

Here are the full specifications;
Lure - 1-6oz
Line Rating - 15-30lb
Blank Weight – 7.6oz
Tip/Bottom Diameter mm - 3/15
 Blanks Closed Length -
   Top Section - 82"
    Bottom Section  - 41.5"

I will post photos of my progress and the way I make a rod but it will take a while as I am busy with too many projects at the moment.

In all probability this will be the last rod I will make for myself.
Cornelis