Simple Tool Storage for No Cost

Started by foakes, April 28, 2022, 08:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

My plier type tools are mostly stored on a vertical rack to the right of the workspace.

Screwdrivers, punches, picks, tweezers, and other various tools are on a Lazy-Susan along with lubricants.

This has worked out pretty well.

However, the pliers have always been somewhat irritating to me.  They were too high, got tangled up together, and were a disorderly collection.

Found some scrap Birch out in the shop, drilled a few holes, shot it together —- done.

Dead simple, space in between the most used pliers & cutters, an easy place to go back to when done, accessible at arms length.  No more getting grease on my work apron when reaching up for a pair of pliers that may or may not be the right ones.

Cost 0 —- usefulness looks good at this point.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Breadfan

Fred, you have some seriously good organizational skills. I like it, and the rest of your shop. My wife is organized to the hilt and she has been working on me with moderate success but she says I have a long way to go. I won't be showing her these photos!

foakes

My take is that no one can seriously organize another person's stuff.

Especially the things that are used either in a profession or a hobby. 

What is required are basic starting points based on what you are doing, what you only actually need (no duplicates), where you intend to expand as conditions & thoughts change, the ability to change things as needed (remove or add), the room you have to work with, the harmonious work flow of projects without having to spend time looking for parts or tools, everything needed readily accessible (and each tool or part has a place to access and put back in order without any effort), and always a vision for improvements in your system.

And lastly, at least for me —- no wasted time.

Make sure whatever system you design —- works for you.

You cannot allow yourself to work for the system.

When it is right —- everything flows and fits perfectly.

My approach, while really just being a reel mechanic —- is to compare my work to a surgeon, a dentist, a watchmaker, a jeweler, or a professional auto mechanic.

No drama, no clutter, no extra unneeded tools, space to work.

Incoming jobs, outgoing jobs, all have a shelf or a place.

Each of you will, or have already found what works for you.  And each person's requirements, style, and needs are different.

My main shop upstairs is small —- so it is easier to not get spread out and disorganized.

After each reel, the bench is cleaned and the tools put back (this only takes a couple of minutes since everything has a place).  Trays are cleaned of grease and crud.

Sounds corny and OCD —- but it genuinely keeps things orderly, swifter, and cleaner.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

This is the best, most interesting, and easiest system for learning good habits —- that I have ever read:

https://jamesclear.com/atomic-habits

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

gstours

Thanks for showing us your great ideas,  nobody does pliers like this.   Pegboard corporation stocks just fell 9 points.....
  I couldn't post a picture of my work organizing cause I can't find my camera 📷.
You're the shepherd, we are the flock. ;)

Bill B

My favorite part of any job is cleaning and putting the tools away, this means the job has been finished to my satisfaction and the bench is clear. 

As a sergeant in my previous career, I held the position of Control Sergeant, responsible for the tracking and count of each inmate in my yard.  Lots of moving parts, in, out, transfers.  At the end of my shift the count had to be EXACT.  All paperwork was stamped, processed, and movement tracked.  One mistake could result in hours of backtracking to uncover the mistake or worse.  A missing inmate was not a good thing 😱.  Attention to detail and OCD were job requirements.  I wrote an Operating Procedure for the position, it was 11 pages long and used by many beginning sergeants in that position. 

Reel repair is the same but different.  Attention to detail and OCD results in a superior product.  We do some amazing work here on this site and it shows.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jurelometer

Like Bill, I value a clear workbench.  I just don't have the discipline to work on only project at a time, so there never seems to be a finish point.  The best that I can do is put my tools away, so I am not wasting time looking for them.  I almost need a shovel to clear the bench sometimes :) 

Here is my cheap and easy wall mount plier storage method.  One for the the big boys, and one for the small stuff.  Can't move it around like Fred's rack, but easy to find everything, and holds a ton of pliers in a small space.  Every hour spent in organizing saves ten hours of frustration looking for stuff...

-J

foakes

That looks great, Dave!

Thanks for showing us!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Your absolutely right that no one else can organize your work bench. I often find myself swinging my hand around in the air if I didn't put something back where it should be. Becomes an autonomic reflex. I know where everything is in every place, pile and cluttered corner. Often not perceived by the untrained eye.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?