accurate boss665h or 270

Started by gary902, February 03, 2012, 08:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary902

thinking of buying either a270 0r 665h  used for bottom fishing and jigging tuna up to 100 using a 6'6 black hole rod rated 300grams i fish nj ny mostly bottom jig tunas about 5 times in the season looking for opinions thanks

alantani

gary, what weight line do you want to use?  mono, spectra, or topshot?  drag setting?  line capacity?  single speed or two?  retrieve rate? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

You might get away with an Accurate 870, but not the 270. Personally, I'd go wit the 665 with slow (4.1) gears. The fast gears have almost no cranking power.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

gary902

braid 65 with floro top shot 16lb at strike single speed intrested in any oyher reel for this type of fishing thanks alan

alantani

400 yards of spectra would work, right?  i would go with an 870 if you want to stay with the old school accurates.  i prefer the older boss series reels to thed new boss extremes. 

gary902

hi alan  im looking for a light reel with strike  drag starting 16 lb at least 300 yard of 65 braid east coast tuna average 100 lb and bottom fish about 300 400 deep any advice would be welcome

alantani

lots of reels with fit that need.  the two that i have would be the accurate boss 870 two speed and the okuma makaira 10 two speed. you would get an easy 15 pounds of drag from either reel. 

gary902

thankyou any idea where i can locate 870

alantani

i couldn't find anything on ebay.  there is a used (actually purchased but never fished) mk 10 for sale here.   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3488.0  you virtually never find them for sale used.  gary, grab it quick before someone else does.  

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D