do sx raptors have bearing problems

Started by Dazza-K, February 05, 2012, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazza-K

If the basic sx avets suffer from pinion bearing failure, does the raptor have a different system to cope with the high drag pressure and the other question I have is what spec bearings do the Avet have now ? so if I change them I know if I'm putting in a better spec bearing?

akfish

The Raptors have a very different design that has essentially eliminated the pinion bearing problem. It's worth the extra money in my opinion.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

forrest

I dont know anything about the raptors. but ak fish has led me in the right direction with avets, I got some new pinon bearings from dawn at smooth drag, they are abec 5 bearings for a hx single, helped the reel out BUT still wont pull the kind of drag avet says it will with out blowing out the pinon bearing, but it was worth the upgrade. good luck forrest

JGB

The Raptors have 7 bearings instead of 6. 2 on the spool, 2 on the drag plates, 1 on the pinion and 2 on the main gear shaft.

The drag pressure load has been shifted from the left spool bearing to the left most drag plate bearing ( it is now larger to take a bigger load with less bearing drag). The pinion bearing is still susceptible to side load bearing failure as in the non raptor. the biggest difference is the Raptors now have competitive drag ratings. They had a great opportunity to put a thrust bearing on the drag plate bearing but did not execute.

The dream solution would be a thrust bearing on the inside drag plate and a angular bearing on the pinion (maybe a 15 degree) and then add a redundant anti reverse.

Jim N.

Dazza-K

I have ordered a full set of spec 5 bearings for the SX and a kodiak cam from Avet to set my reel up as a 12lb out fit, the cams are so aggressive that it almost makes you stuff the pinion bearing. For a reel rated 10 to 20 lb its hasn't got a cam to match , more like 30lb to use the cam, from strike to full is way to harsh for the line class recommended for the reel......thanks for the input from every body and I'll up date when the new cam lever arrives...Dazza