Older reels

Started by Makule, February 06, 2012, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Just so that I understand, is this Forum only dealing with contemporary reels, or does it get into older, antique stuff as well?  I have, and use, mainly old stuff.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

If you are talking about Penn 68s, Templars, and stuff we used to use for casting for Ulua, we also address it here as well.  We have a lot of older salties that know about those reels as well.  Take your best shot and see how these guys amaze you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Never had much of a problem with the older Penn Senators, but the Templars used to break like crazy.  Not as strongly built, albeit more precision.  The biggest problem were the gears, both pinion and main for the 400s and 500s.  Anyone know where I can find them, and spare parts in general?

The other problem was with the drag washers.  Need to find a good replacement.  I haven't tried any of the new materials, but they should be thin enough.  Don't know if diameters will match.

Lack of parts is what caused me to stop using the Templar reels.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

For templar parts, I'd contact Brian Funai.  I'm sure you've hear of him.  An avid shore caster and heavily involved to keep Hawaii's fisheries open for all.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

bryan and i were talking about old school reels last night.  think about that last ulua.  you know, the one that broke you off in the reef.  must have been 40 pounds, maybe more.  it took a run and you couldn't stop it.  well, with new technology, you might be able to........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Yes, I know Brian and should contact him since he does have lots of old stuff.

Quotebryan and i were talking about old school reels last night.  think about that last ulua.  you know, the one that broke you off in the reef.  must have been 40 pounds, maybe more.  it took a run and you couldn't stop it.  well, with new technology, you might be able to........

Don't know what new tech you're referring to, but I doubt that the new equipment guys use for casting these days could compete with a Penn Senator 9/0 filled with 100 lb test mono on the basis of stopping fish.  Even my two largest ulua were caught with an old Penn Senator 6/0 (2.1:1 ratio) that had the 3-piece spool and 200 yards of line (with a comfortable amount of line left at the end of the run).  Frankly, fish that couldn't be caught with that 6/0 couldn't be caught with a 9/0 either.  Those fish would empty the 6/0 in literally seconds, and break 100 lb test on the initial run in mid water (not on the rocks).

redsetta

QuoteI have, and use, mainly old stuff...
Some pics would be great!  ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Quote from: Makule on February 06, 2012, 09:44:52 PM
Yes, I know Brian and should contact him since he does have lots of old stuff.

Quotebryan and i were talking about old school reels last night.  think about that last ulua.  you know, the one that broke you off in the reef.  must have been 40 pounds, maybe more.  it took a run and you couldn't stop it.  well, with new technology, you might be able to........

Don't know what new tech you're referring to, but I doubt that the new equipment guys use for casting these days could compete with a Penn Senator 9/0 filled with 100 lb test mono on the basis of stopping fish.  Even my two largest ulua were caught with an old Penn Senator 6/0 (2.1:1 ratio) that had the 3-piece spool and 200 yards of line (with a comfortable amount of line left at the end of the run).  Frankly, fish that couldn't be caught with that 6/0 couldn't be caught with a 9/0 either.  Those fish would empty the 6/0 in literally seconds, and break 100 lb test on the initial run in mid water (not on the rocks).
Aloha Makule,
If you look at one major improvement that helps your catch ratio, that's gotta be having smooth drags.  Drag material of the past (and even some that are used today) are jerky.   That jerkyness from your drag is what causes teh line to break during the run of a fish.  If that fish breaks your 100# mainline during the initial run, then there's probaby sticky/jerky drags.

BTW, are you on Oahu?  I'll be back home flying in on March 17, 2012.  Would be great to get-together and put a face to a name.  Let me know.
Bryan

Makule

QuoteSome pics would be great!

Here's some of the old stuff.  Probably all needing repair (which is why they're in the cabinet drawer).  I don't know where my good wife put all of the other reels (there were quite a few).  I don't think she's sold them.... yet.

alantani

one man's junk ........

Quote from: Makule on February 07, 2012, 04:41:29 AM
QuoteSome pics would be great!

Here's some of the old stuff.  Probably all needing repair.  I don't know where my good wife put all of the other reels.  I don't think she's sold them.... yet.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

QuoteIf you look at one major improvement that helps your catch ratio, that's gotta be having smooth drags.  Drag material of the past (and even some that are used today) are jerky.   That jerkyness from your drag is what causes teh line to break during the run of a fish.  If that fish breaks your 100# mainline during the initial run, then there's probaby sticky/jerky drags.

BTW, are you on Oahu?  I'll be back home flying in on March 17, 2012.  Would be great to get-together and put a face to a name.  Let me know.

Yes, drag material is better today.  No question about that.  I was always very careful about keeping all of my drag washers in good condition so that they wouldn't stick/jerk.  That was a very big problem.

With respect, the reason for the 100 lb break was that the reel would be out of line, and the other end would be going at a super high speed.  Like I said, the reel is empty in seconds.  The drag would be set somewhere around 20 lbs.  There was a discussion someplace about the drag getting looser once the speed and the duration of the run exceeded certain points.  I have experienced that (trying to tighten the drag makes no difference during the run), but I don't think that was happening in those instances of the 100 lb breaking since the fish did stop (for a few seconds before it decided it was time to stop playing silly games).  The rod would be doubled over and the strength of the pull frightening.  Sometimes, the SS rod holders would get bent like a pretzel (I still have one as a reminder).

I'm on the island of Hawaii.  That's where all of the really big fish hang out.  One lesson I've begrudgingly learned over the years is that no matter how big/strong equipment one uses (I went up to a 12/0 for shore casting), there's always something out there that's bigger and stronger than you are that you'll eventually tangle with that'll kick your butt.

Bryan Young

Yup, you got some deep water there.  Anything is game where you are at.

wallacewt

make the fish pull a foam float