Underwater light

Started by Makule, February 06, 2012, 03:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

I'm trying to make a light to hang over the side as a fish attractor.  How can I make the wiring connections waterproof (to a depth of about 10')?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

marine heat shrink tubing has an sealant that melts during the shrinking process and seals the connection.  You can also add some RTV, like the stuff you use for aquariums.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Makule on February 06, 2012, 03:30:05 AM
I'm trying to make a light to hang over the side as a fish attractor.  How can I make the wiring connections waterproof (to a depth of about 10')?
Makule:  How much light do you need?  I would get one of those cheap flashlights that takes 2 size D batteries put it in a zip lock bag, squeeze the air out and tie a rope around it.  I don't know if it will work but I think it is worth a try.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

Thanks for the information.  I'll try the heat shrink tubing.  Maybe the RTV will be needed too.

I normally run a 100w 12v bulb with a marine grade socket coated internally with vaseline.  Since the bulbs have been getting pretty junk, I'm trying to switch over to some kind of halogen or even LED.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Are you running in Kaneohe Bay torching (sort of) from a boat?

Another thing you could do is wire up the light and seal it all in some resin.  The good, no water gets in.  The bad, once the bulb goes dead, there goes your hard work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

I used some waterproof electrical tape I got from a local elec supply house to seal all the connections on the pump in my septic system 9 years ago, no problems. I think it was some kind of silicone tape - it might be removable when you need to change bulbs. Good luck - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Makule

No, on the Big Island at the deeeeeep spots and just hanging it over the edge and into the water.  Good for attracting all kinds of interesting things.

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 06, 2012, 09:18:24 PM
Are you running in Kaneohe Bay torching (sort of) from a boat?

Another thing you could do is wire up the light and seal it all in some resin.  The good, no water gets in.  The bad, once the bulb goes dead, there goes your hard work.

Makule

I tried that some time ago, but it leaked.  Maybe the water pressure was too great (sent it down too deep).  Thank you.

Quote from: Jimmer on February 06, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
I used some waterproof electrical tape I got from a local elec supply house to seal all the connections on the pump in my septic system 9 years ago, no problems. I think it was some kind of silicone tape - it might be removable when you need to change bulbs. Good luck - Jimmer

Bryan Young

How much light are you looking for?  I was just looking at my costco special tac-lite.  In hawaii, it's going for 3 for $16.  Place a pexiglas cylinder on the end and paint the end black to stop the light from flowing out the end.  Used 3 AAA batteries and you could get rechargables.  100, 200 or 200 blinking lumens.  Could seal with RTV  Send it down on a rope or something.

Makule

I normally run a 100w 12v bulb

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 07, 2012, 06:03:48 AM
How much light are you looking for?  I was just looking at my costco special tac-lite.  In hawaii, it's going for 3 for $16.  Place a pexiglas cylinder on the end and paint the end black to stop the light from flowing out the end.  Used 3 AAA batteries and you could get rechargables.  100, 200 or 200 blinking lumens.  Could seal with RTV  Send it down on a rope or something.

Bryan Young

Oh, I was thinking of a light saber of sorts.

misokat

If U really need a dependable light, get a Hydroglow, we use them for Swordfish, chunking tuna at night and catching squid, have 2 that are 5 plus years old and still work great
Capt M Nelsen, Blue Max Sportfishing.
http://bluemaxsportfishing.com/

Makule

I like those.  Wonder if I could catch swords in Hawaii.

Quote from: misokat on February 08, 2012, 01:27:22 AM
If U really need a dependable light, get a Hydroglow, we use them for Swordfish, chunking tuna at night and catching squid, have 2 that are 5 plus years old and still work great

Bryan Young

Sure you can.  I caught my first marlin when I was 16 with my uncle...ok, I was the gaffer, but just the same.  Pacific blue marlin is a beautiful fish.