Bad spacing or too heavy?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 23, 2022, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So this started life as a spinning rod. I went a bit simpler than the last build on decor. Well when I was spacing the guides i didn't think the lower section of the rod bends as much as it does. I discovered that while test lifting a gallon water jug.

So am I trying to use this rod to lift more than it can handle, or do I need to plan to cut and re-space the bottom guides?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

not "more than it can handle", or it would break
started as spinner for a reason  :P
add guide near hook-keeper w/ tape, before you cut

EDIT:  ,,,or, maybe it will be a better Stripper, if you just add some glitter  :P  :P  :P

Wompus Cat

Only thing doing any Reel work is you and the Tip Guide .
You are lifting if Water in the Jug and filled to the Top  (Depending on Temp. and atmospheric Pressure from 8 to 15 pounds )
Try turning the Reel end upside down like it would be with a Spinning Reel to see the Results .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

boon

Builds looks fine. If you're running 10lb drag through that rod it's probably the wrong rod for the job.

Jeri

There are a couple of schools of thought regarding rod blanks and designed loads for best performance. The first being that spinning blanks have a slightly softer action, which at times is achieved through the use of different strengths of carbon in the lay up, or just softer carbon throughout - but ultimately still produce a blank designed for spinning - not casting. Casting blanks require a stiffer action, at times achieved through using slightly stiffer carbon in the lay up.

The next school of thought comes from the carp fishing brigade, where blanks are tested with just a tip ring to load the blank to 90 degree bend - a 3lb load, would equate to a 3oz casting weight for best performance, and so on.

8-10lbs of testing load would seem a little over the top for a short rod, for you would probably not decide to use it with a 8-10oz lure or sinker?

There is a growing theme in applying more than the design loads on tackle, basically brought about by braid, and the resultant failures are probably not the fault of the product, just loadings and usage.

Wompus Cat

Designers have made vast improvements over the years for sure .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

steelfish

with that kind of bend on the rod, you can re-arrange 3 first guides, put a taller striper guide and call it a jigging rod  :fish
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on May 24, 2022, 03:31:37 PMwith that kind of bend on the rod, you can re-arrange 3 first guides, put a taller striper guide and call it a jigging rod  :fish
Sort of the plan! I built it as a light jigging rod. I just didn't expect it to go so deep!

Probably gonna swap the first guide for a size 20 instead of the current 16, move maybe an inch closer to the reel, and do under wraps to buy even more height so it doesn't start to rub between 1st and 2nd guide. Reasonable?

Indeed it seems like it shouldn't be fished at 10# of drag. But it's nice to know that it can take the bend.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.