Abu ultra mag XL (formerly mystery)

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 24, 2022, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Picked this lil gem up for $20, but the logos are mostly worn off. I figure something this small has a potential to be something special, but it definitely needs work. Does anyone recognize it?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so I found this picture from the cover of the 1984 catalog (serial# suggested that's the one to check) I think we have a match! I guess it's an ultra mag.
I see that catalog is in the ORCA library that i cant access. How do I nail down the actual model I have? Size, etc.

PacRat

I think I recently viewed a YouTube video that said that's an earlier model because it has a flippin' switch and that Abu discontinued it in later models. Take a look on YouTube. I don't know what search words to use because it just came up random and it looked interesting.
-Mike

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 24, 2022, 04:12:14 PMOk so I found this picture from the cover of the 1984 catalog (serial# suggested that's the one to check) I think we have a match! I guess it's an ultra mag.
I see that catalog is in the ORCA library that i cant access. How do I nail down the actual model I have? Size, etc.

Become a paid ORCA member. The information and knowledge gained there is well worth the minuscule annual fee.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

I have one. Disregard the "Left-Handed baitcasting reel" on the box—-I get wrong stuff from eBay sellers sometimes. Nice little Bass reel, with a very innovative disengaging/reengaging levelwind system. I sent Alex one too, after getting a few parts for mine. No centrifugal cast control, but a nice strong-adjustable mag. cast control. Too much graphite composite for me, but it does seem to be tuff stuff—-for plastic.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

The schematic in case you're interested. That's the model; Ultra Mag XL Plus. I "think" the larger sizes came latter, such as the Ultra Mag XL V(5) that I have. The "Plus" stands for the fast cast option—-again, I "think".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 24, 2022, 03:03:48 PMPicked this lil gem up for $20, but the logos are mostly worn off. I figure something this small has a potential to be something special, but it definitely needs work. Does anyone recognize it?

You have an AMBASSADEUR GARCIA ABU ULTRA MAG XL PLUS FAST CAST
The Charge for this information is the Same Alan Charges us to be here  :fish  :d  NADA
Tough Lil Reel For Sure
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

handi2

I have have serviced one of them. New bearings and Carbontex drag washers
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on May 24, 2022, 09:49:17 PMI sent Alex one too...

yep, I have one also, thanks Broda' G.

it cast pretty good, pretty light but it has only one drag washer so, not much power from it
I think it can work good as reel for shore fishing or freshwater

check 1st picture, dont you love hand writting from my compadre G
The Baja Guy

philaroman

so, is it Sweden or Japan?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on May 25, 2022, 01:43:51 AMso, is it Sweden or Japan?

Well, along about that time ABU & ABU/Garcia was transitioning to Japanese manufacture, but in the early stages parts were manufactured in Japan, shipped to Sweden and then assembled there. ABU did the same thing with their Ambassadeur & ABU/Garcia 50 series and 150 series rear drag spinning reels. Shortly thereafter all but a select few of their highest quality reels were manufactured and assembled in Japan.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Ha! Check-out that Mag sticker I made. It's awful, but I guess it get's the job done. Alex with your artistic ability you could do much better... Also check out that hatchet-job on the C-Tex washer I cut, I'm embarrassed, next time I should keep my own Googan produced stuff and give away the good stuff.

Yup, 1—-drag washer. Not much range or power there, but good for Bass and other FW critters that don't pull hard or make long burning runs. The build and engineering are great though, compared to the materials. That levelwind design and function has always been my favorite thing on any reel I've ever owned.

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on May 25, 2022, 03:33:27 AMThat levelwind design and function has always been my favorite thing on any reel I've ever owned.

How does it work?  There seems to be some unusual parts.

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on May 25, 2022, 03:33:27 AMHa! Check-out that Mag sticker I made. It's awful, but I guess it get's the job done. Alex with your artistic ability you could do much better... Also check out that hatchet-job on the C-Tex washer I cut, I'm embarrassed,

G, to tell the truth I never noticed the drag washer was custom cut, I always do the same with old shimano and abu reels because those drag washer are hard to find on carbon fiber so, I was happy to see it was already upgraded, thanks a lot.
BTW, I will keep that Mag sticker as is, it gives character to the reel
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on May 25, 2022, 05:04:38 AM
Quote from: Gfish on May 25, 2022, 03:33:27 AMThat levelwind design and function has always been my favorite thing on any reel I've ever owned.

How does it work?  There seems to be some unusual parts.
It appears the line guide disengages from the mechanism that moves it when you're in free spool.

So it's not like my 5000C where the line guide remains engaged on the cast forcing the spool to lose momentum to move the gears that drive the line guide.

Nor is it like my modern abu blackmax where the line guide stays static on a cast, losing momentum to the friction of line sliding across the sides of the aperture.

Instead it becomes free to slide back and forth at will during the cast, getting re-engaged when you start reeling.

Ive played with mine a bit, it's a very cool concept, but may be a weak point on the reel, structurally.

I'm betting other abu-sized handles fit on this guy for a bit more length, but for reasons I can't pretend I can explain, I dislike that 4 point drag star. Its not a star, its an X. Do stars from other reels fit this one?

The drag disk setup is reminiscent of the one on my blackmax. Wouldnt surprise me if the same carbon drags for that will fit this. And I happen to have a kit already. I'll find out.

What is the gear ratio on these?

What about line size and capacity? Getting to the point, what's the ideal braid for this?

Are there any other upgrades still on the market? Seems like there was, about 15yrs ago, looking at old forum posts on Google.