Zeus 4 findings.

Started by gstours, June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As a jig rod it's one of my heavier persuasions.  I was hurried somewhat and twisted this one up last summer and never really got to test it as much as I wanted to. 
  It's suitable for 4-500 gram jigs and I used it for chunky baits as well using 2-3 pounds of lead.    See what you think.   
 Using my earlier weight of ten pounds as a standard a photo will show the rods resistant to the jig.
  United Composites makes these blanks in 4-5 sizes and seem to be very good quality.
Now I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al

JasonGotaProblem

How far is your stripper guide from the reel seat?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

I like it a lot.

All of my jigging a bottom rods are spiral wrapped
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

I,ll get back to you with the seat/stripper position.   In a 5.5 ft rod there is in my thoughts not much room to work with.  I think that as soon as the transition can be made the spiral rod performance is maximized. 🫣.  Double foot guides, and slickbutt may have added to the overall weight,  as my fishery is a little different than most it suits my needs.
  The Calstar Graphiter 760 L in 6 ft,(rear section bobbed 6 inches) now 5.5 ft has been a favorite of mine.   It's almost exactly the same in actual testing although the Zeus 4 is a little less diameter towards the butt.   Just saying.

gstours

Reply update.  The center of the reelseat to the face of the 16 k series guide is 14 inches.  The 3 guide transition length is 9 1/4 inches. 
  While I was criticized for adding the size 10 correction guide offset to the right to keep the incoming line centered unattended works perfectly.
  A cardboard degree wheel was used to quantify the transition but not necessary to the more skilled builder.   I wanted to copy another rod I had built earlier.
  I do like the spiral rod for jigs and getting made fun 🤩 of is now commonplace. :fish

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AMNow I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al

nothing wrong with that Gary, I havent even started with mine which is the Zeus 3 and now I want the Zeus 1 hahaha

the Zeus 3 blank feels pretty good and I think I made the right selection of blank for the intended use of mediums sized  YT, big sierras (spanish macks and King macks), leopard grouper etc but also I think the Zeus 1 will be a pretty fun jigging rod to use for lighter jigging action
The Baja Guy

gstours

Alex, I think your  xxh Trevalla was stiffer/heavier than the z3 blank,  I have the heavy trevalla and love it for lighter jigs, nice for a production rod.
  I now use a five pound weight for test comparisons jigrods,  as ten pounds just maxes out the lighter ones..
  Shown below is a 5# on the z4,  there is no soft tip. 

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 08:24:55 PMAlex, I think your  xxh Trevalla was stiffer/heavier than the z3 blank

according to the specs your right, I liked that short XXH trevala and the only reason I sold it was to stop using factory rods, it was kind of contradictory to convince friends and other guys to get a Custom rod while I was still using factory rods  ::)  ::)  :P

Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 08:24:55 PMShown below is a 5# on the z4,  there is no soft tip. 
seems that you forgot to attach the pictures of the Z5 and Z4.

the next is a Zeus 3, bouncing a #18 tackle box

** correction : it was a 18# tackle box, not 25#
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Wow that loads nice !! How is the Z4 with a 25 lb lift ??

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

handi2

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 02, 2022, 12:09:22 PMHow far is your stripper guide from the reel seat?

It doesn't matter. It's not used for casting only bottom dropping

The spiral wrapped rods we used were from John Volmer. He sold all types of rods on the Hull Truth forum
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

I'm just curious because I can't see the reel or seat in the bend photos and the pic where i can see it, I cant gauge the length of the foregrip. Just looking for some additional context for the curvature.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

gstours

In my last reply I ment/ stated 5# meaning 5 pounds on the Zeus 4.  And there is no soft tip.   The earlier pictures were shown using 10 pounds for comparing deflection in my rods. 
   Personally I like a taller than shown size 10 or 12 stripper guide to prevent line touching the fore grip wrist,  butt the Fugi 16 is the best I could do at the time.
  Placing the stripper guide farther away from your reel seat reduces the amount of room to make the spiral transition and possibly reduces the effect of the design?
   This rod is 60 inch long.   We only have ourselves to blame for not buying factory.😉

Cor

Quote from: steelfish on June 02, 2022, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: gstours on June 02, 2022, 06:25:50 AMNow I'd like to have a Zeus 3.  Is that bad? :al

nothing wrong with that Gary, I havent even started with mine which is the Zeus 3 and now I want the Zeus 1 hahaha

the Zeus 3 blank feels pretty good and I think I made the right selection of blank for the intended use of mediums sized  YT, big sierras (spanish macks and King macks), leopard grouper etc but also I think the Zeus 1 will be a pretty fun jigging rod to use for lighter jigging action

I went and checked the specs on the United Composites website and from that would guess that the 3 or 4 would be the better blank for the type of stuff you may catch in your back yard.  ( Not that I really know)
For some years now I have been going for lighter rods, but most times I end up regretting it.   One reason is I fish with conventional reels and they just don't like casting light lures like a spinner would.

Casting may not be a factor with a jigging rod, but even so, it may not be so much fun pulling a Spanish on a light rod.

I also do not understand how a blank can be made to cast between 1 & 8 oz effectively.   I recently bought a Black Hole 10f6 blank rated 1 - 6 oz, it feels totally under powered to cast a 3 & 1/2 oz device well.   I am sure it won't break but can not see how it would cast 6 oz with such a soft tip.
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Ay ya steel fish, you must have steel arms, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Mr. Hardy boy,   I will try to picture you lifting the 25# Zeus 4,  when I can.  :fish