Penn Senator 116L 12/0

Started by GORDASKIPPER, June 02, 2022, 09:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

How does one determine the age of an old Senator? I have 5 really thick drag washers in my stack and looks to me like it has steel pinion and main gears? I search this site and found the Penn schematic at Mysticparts and at least it is 89 or older (notes from bearing cap design), guess that is all I need to know? I will upgrade the drag while it is apart. The drag stack drawing says I have an older reel from the 40s but not old-style screw-in bearing caps its confusing? 

Gfish

Are you able to post pictures, skipper?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

Yea pictures would be the quickest way to identify.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

JasonGotaProblem

My buddy's 67 mustang has a 2017 engine.

It's possible someones been fishing it and replacing worn out parts with new along the way, leading a mix of original and newer parts.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

Does it have bearings or bushings? What kind of spool?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

GORDASKIPPER

Excuse the late response fishing gets in the way...I went to the storage and opened early 2000 12/0 of course the drags are different. So I took a picture of them top is my old 12/0 I am asking about and below is early 2000. Keith asked about the spool it is chromed. The rest other than the drags looks exactly alike between both reels. The old drags are thick (only 5) guessing I should upgrade?Penn Drag stacks.jpg   

Shellbelly

the older gal is probably from the 70s....from the looks of the handle and the location of the logo.  Likely asbestos drags...best used when a little dry...like brake pads (or brake shoes if you're old like me).  They tend to adhere to the metal parts if left alone too long.  Best to upgrade and save those for the shelf queen. 

Glad to see a "fat grass" guy....assuming gorda as in Mata-   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)