Penn 545GS Drag Rebuild

Started by jjiimm, June 03, 2022, 05:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjiimm

Hi All -- new to the board.  I took a quick look and didn't immediately see if this existed anywhere -- does anybody have any recommendations for rebuilding the drag system on a Penn 545GS?

thorhammer

What is it you are looking to do? Should already have versadrag carbontex washers in it, although maybe a very early one might not (not sure on that). One of my favorite series of reels- got the 545 and 555's in 1996 for kingfishing and still going strong; I use 525's and 535 for drum. Put new carbon fiber drags in and grease with Cal's or Shimano drag grease and you should be good to go. Soak some Corrosion X into the bearings while you're in there.

John

Wompus Cat

Welcome to the Forum

Older Reels have stock drags like Thorhammer said.
There are upgrades for better Carbon Washers and Upgrade kits for the latest Cogged Washers with Gear available from MYSTIC PARTS CLICK HERE
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

handi2

The new replacement HT-100 drag washers have a larger hole in the middle resulting in less drag friction. I have a box full of these newer style

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/parts/gsgear.jpg
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jjiimm

Quote from: thorhammer on June 03, 2022, 11:37:54 AMWhat is it you are looking to do? Should already have versadrag carbontex washers in it, although maybe a very early one might not (not sure on that). One of my favorite series of reels- got the 545 and 555's in 1996 for kingfishing and still going strong; I use 525's and 535 for drum. Put new carbon fiber drags in and grease with Cal's or Shimano drag grease and you should be good to go. Soak some Corrosion X into the bearings while you're in there.

John

The drag on my reel seems to have lost its ability to be adjusted -- it's either off or on (a slight exaggeration).  I've read about adding another set of drag washers to other reels, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility for the 545.  If not, and I just get new fiber washers, should I get carbontex or HT100 washers (or are they the same)? Thanks!

jjiimm

Quote from: handi2 on June 03, 2022, 07:47:01 PMThe new replacement HT-100 drag washers have a larger hole in the middle resulting in less drag friction. I have a box full of these newer style

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/parts/gsgear.jpg

Thanks -- to use these, I'd have to change the main gear, right?

handi2

No they are the Penn HT-100 carbon drag washers.

I don't really know why people are calling them Carbontex, Carbontex is a trade name owned by Smooth Drag.

There are no Carbontex replacements
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wompus Cat

QuoteThe drag on my reel seems to have lost its ability to be adjusted -- it's either off or on (a slight exaggeration).  I've read about adding another set of drag washers to other reels, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility for the 545.  If not, and I just get new fiber washers, should I get carbontex or HT100 washers (or are they the same)? Thanks!

First you should open the Reel up and see what you have in the way of Shims and disks . May just need a good cleaning .
You may just need a different size Spacer.

To install the CARBON FIBER TYPE  Drag Disks with the Tangs on them you will need the Right Main Gear to fit those and When you tear into you may find you already have that Gear .
Soooooo open it up and post us some pix. :d

jjiimm

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2022, 03:15:57 PMNo they are the Penn HT-100 carbon drag washers.

I don't really know why people are calling them Carbontex, Carbontex is a trade name owned by Smooth Drag.

Found this on the smoothdrag site:

Set of 4 $11.80
Fits: Penn 49, 49L, 535GS, 545GS,
555GS first models using round washers

These are not replacements for the HT-100s?

jjiimm

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 03, 2022, 11:42:23 AMWelcome to the Forum

Older Reels have stock drags like Thorhammer said.
There are upgrades for better Carbon Washers and Upgrade kits for the latest Cogged Washers with Gear available from MYSTIC PARTS CLICK HERE

Thanks!

jjiimm

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 04, 2022, 03:38:23 PM
QuoteThe drag on my reel seems to have lost its ability to be adjusted -- it's either off or on (a slight exaggeration).  I've read about adding another set of drag washers to other reels, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility for the 545.  If not, and I just get new fiber washers, should I get carbontex or HT100 washers (or are they the same)? Thanks!

First you should open the Reel up and see what you have in the way of Shims and disks . May just need a good cleaning .

To install the CARBON FIBER TYPE  Drag Disks with the Tangs on them you will need the Right Main Gear to fit those and When you tear into you may find you already have that Gear .

I'll give it a shot!

thorhammer

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2022, 03:15:57 PMNo they are the Penn HT-100 carbon drag washers.

habit- like calling all adhesive strips Band Aids :) Should've said carbon fiber.

jjiimm

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 04, 2022, 03:38:23 PM

Here's my picture -- I believe this is the old gear, right?

MarkT

Those don't look like the factory drags!  Go with either the Penn HT-100's or Smooth Drags Carbontex.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

Yes that is Correct Sir .
You probably can get new Fiber Discs to replace those .
Or if you want to upgrade you will need a New Gear and all the washers .
If it were mine I would Use Brake Cleaner on the discs you have then use  some 80 Grit Sandpaper to clean the surface of the.m 
THen Clean and polish the Metal Disks and put it back together and see what you get .