Made myself an Admiral

Started by Robert Janssen, June 06, 2022, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

I have a particular liking of the red Everol reels and the ABU and Garcia Admiral reels.
So, i decided to make one for myself.

Started with a little pile of aluminum and stainless steel bar stock

6845A836-CB0D-4261-AF32-B2FE38C4E361.jpeg

...and start turning, milling and filing some partsEB9B89F4-0413-4A56-B379-165D0B859EBE.jpeg

I am particularly proud of this gear housing. This took a whole lotta doing to get right

7AAFA869-FA59-4B30-A9E1-4CA0E3DC958A.jpeg

All put together, it starts to look pretty good

FDDAC6C7-0FE5-4605-BC8E-69BD8947FECD.jpeg

Add some finishing touches, a bit of polish, and...

282ACBC0-A927-46C0-B5F7-F6C27EBFFAD8.jpeg

4C9FF2CC-EF95-4A50-A050-C0E989BC00A5.jpeg

2144D574-3134-4E05-8B76-06FEA3F9B47C.jpeg

F8E4DFCB-6AAE-4CCE-B529-7C7EC8365D4C.jpeg

And here a family photo with an older, larger sibling, courtesy of our esteemed member Mr John Taylor

1CAB8B69-FC51-47B8-B304-6C289AC6CA3F.jpeg

Of course, no point in making a reel and not using it, so i do use it regularly. It takes a bit of finesse to cast, as it has no cast controls at all besides one's thumb. It is very uncomfortable for palming, and has no levelwind either. Nice retrieve ratio of 5.5:1, and the drag is very smooth indeed. But it sure does look cool. 

10100FD0-BD6C-44FC-9554-AEC4BC9773A9.jpeg

All told, this was a satisfactory little project. It took a whole lotta doing though; it wasn't as easy as it looks. I didn't have any drawings or an original reel to copy, so I just kinda winged it. Shot from the hip to get the look and proportions right. My skilled friend Carl helped with the sideplate graphics, which is kind of funny, since his dad used to work with Berkley Bedell himself.

All told, all good!

JasonGotaProblem

Stuff like this just makes me feel inadequate. That's awesome and you should be outrageously proud. Heck I'm proud of you.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

mo65

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 06, 2022, 11:07:03 AMStuff like this just makes me feel inadequate.

Same here! Your work inspires me Doc...your posts never disappoint. 8) 
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Looks fantastic, even if it takes some casting, thanks for  sowing us, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

You are Truly the
KING of THE MINI ME REEL MAKERS
:al
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

What's the drag like (# of disks, material, etc)? Did you go for bearings or bushings on the spool?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldmanjoe

I really like what you do with your scrap aluminium !!!!  Yes , I can see a lot of time in that gear case .
  That`s a whole lot of different set up to do .    Excellent work ...  :d 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Yeah, some details please. What's that lever on the tail-plate? Some kinda clicker?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Also, normally one does not get to self-promote. But yeah, you totally earned the rank of admiral with this build.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Mjg378

Squidder Bidder

steelfish

jjjezzzz !! amazing

...and I feel like a NASA engineer when I drill a knob  out from a stock handle to install a bigger one  ::)  ::)
The Baja Guy