Chit happens when you get old

Started by old 1946, June 06, 2022, 04:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old 1946

Hello all
Servicing my Abu 6501c3(lefty) tried to remove handle nut would not budge applied force and
nut finally loosened up,problem is the nut is left handed thread and I removed it as right handed
and totally screwed the shaft threads and destroyed the nut(I can hear you guys laughing).
Abu foot number is 010605,having a hard time locating the right parts.
Abu schmatics show different part numbers for said reel.
Could use alittle help here to get the right parts.
Believe none of what you hear
half of what you read
and all of what you see.

oldmanjoe

:cf    Sometimes you have to tighten it up ,to get it loosen up !!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

That sucks! That's why, when a screw or nut won't come loose, it's always best to work it both ways until it actually does break loose. If that had been a screw it would have snapped off.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Keta

The older we get the more often we have "D'oh" moments. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Is there a mechanical reason for left-tight/right-loosen threads? Chrysler corp. vehicles used to get people with lug nuts on their wheels with that crap.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Yes, RH tend to loosen when cranked backwards.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: Gfish on June 06, 2022, 10:24:31 PMIs there a mechanical reason for left-tight/right-loosen threads? Chrysler corp. vehicles used to get people with lug nuts on their wheels with that crap.

So did Pontiac. The reason is that as you reel (or the left side tires turn) it tends to tighten the nut. Normal threads will tend to loosen the nut. That is why you need locktite on a normal reel handle.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Gfish

Aw, come ooonnn. Really?
Why not a lock-washer, then?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: day0ne on June 06, 2022, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: Gfish on June 06, 2022, 10:24:31 PMIs there a mechanical reason for left-tight/right-loosen threads? Chrysler corp. vehicles used to get people with lug nuts on their wheels with that crap.

So did Pontiac.and Pre 1965 Buick and Oldsmobubbles as well as a GOB  of  Bicycle Pedals The reason is that as you reel (or the left side tires turn) it tends to tighten the nut. Normal threads will tend to loosen the nut. That is why you need locktite on a normal reel handle.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

I though that once you went South of the Equator , thing went backwards  . :-[
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

old 1946

Appreciate all the replies but I still need advice concerning the parts I need for my reel.
Believe none of what you hear
half of what you read
and all of what you see.

alantani

i took a quick look and i didn't find any left handed parts in the box that usually has this stuff.  it looks like you need a left handed drive shaft 22081 and a left handed handle nut 5001C.  here's the schematic. 

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-6501-ambassadeur-parts-c-187196_187197_187573.html

i went digging through and didn't find either.  the left handed handle nut is here on ebay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Brass-Left-Hand-Thread-Handle-Nut-5001C-1127716-/173740770050

the left handed drive shaft is here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bin-596-22081-Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Left-Hand-Drive-Shaft-/173126289675

i hate to send you to ebay like this, but i can't find the parts you need here.  not sure if any of the other guys can help you out, but at least you have this. 

and yeah, getting old sucks.....  :(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have zero LH parts and 4 LH ABU reels.

Mark Twain

Gfish

Sorry for the thread jack. But now it's on my mind. If everything is installed right(mainly torque) I don't see a need for reverse threads. For example, the only loose lug nuts I've ever heard about are from some mechanic getting distracted and forgetting to tighten them. A properly installed knob bolt on a reel handle? With a lubed knob?...No.

Walleye Guy

Depending on how damaged the driveshaft and nut are, you could try to chase the threads with a tap and die and salvage them.  If new parts are available then this probably isn't worth the time, but if parts are not available then it could be an option for you.