Help cleaning cigarette smell from SLX-DC

Started by Jigmaster_Jay, June 10, 2022, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigmaster_Jay

I purchased a used SLX DC 150 from FB Marketplace for $75 that smells like cigarettes and death so I need some assistance on how to clean that and what to be careful with. I've never taken apart my Curado DC to really know much about what parts are in there and have no idea where the electronics are located. If it's just the non handle sideplate then I guess I can clean that with some denatured alcohol on rags and qtips then soak the rest but don't want to mess something up doing that. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

handi2

It's overkill but I used a high powered ozone generator to remove the smell from my house when I quit.

The Alchohol will be fine.

Don't worry about the windings they stay in place.
You remove the handle side plate to change the drag washers to Carbontex. The bearings are easily seen on the spool and each side

The ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green is great too.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Yeah, the smell is on the outside.  Spray it with WD40 and wipe off the excess.  The line though...?

I've always wondered how those would hold up to hard use and extreme conditions.

Jigmaster_Jay

Quote from: oc1 on June 11, 2022, 05:48:10 AMYeah, the smell is on the outside.  Spray it with WD40 and wipe off the excess.  The line though...?

I've always wondered how those would hold up to hard use and extreme conditions.
I WISH that the smell was just on the outside. The line has been removed, but it's like the smell soked into the grease. Taking a whiff under the spool tension knob about killed me haha! Last night I wiped it down with denatured alcohol on the outside, the spool, and under the side plate but idk how much it helped. I'm going to get into it a little more this weekend and soak what I can in some alcohol. As long as it gets to the point where my car doesn't stink from leaving it in there on a hot day them it will be fine with me.

philaroman

diluted vinegar instead of (or, before) alchohol & still, need some disassembly -- at least, extensive if not complete

Cuttyhunker

Fabreeze rescued the trunk of our car when we forgot about a few dozen clams back there when leaving town for a week.
Doomed from childhood

Midway Tommy

I smoked for 45 years and am now extremely repulsed when I smell someone smoking five hundred feet away, but I'm really struggling trying to feature why a total disassembly, soaking of all internal parts in lacquer thinner or mineral spirits, where appropriate, and a thorough exterior wash with a goop/dawn wash won't rid the smell to the normal senses.

I purchased a Cardinal 6 from Leon Chandler's (World Fly Fishing Ambassador) estate fifteen years ago that was so covered with nicotine and smoke smell that the rotor was yellow and my rag turned brown when I wiped off the green body, cream rotor, spool and handle. It reeked of smoker's smell from ten feet away. After a total clean and reassemble there was practically no telltale remnants of smoke or nicotine smell. It has been sitting on a shelf in a closed curio for fifteen years and only the most anal and sensitive of noses would even be able to tell that a smoker once owned it.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)