looking for advise or tip on how to un-stuck a Pre-set knob assembly JM PE5 reel

Started by steelfish, June 13, 2022, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

so, I have this reel from a friend that was using this Jiggin master PE5 reel and the jig got stuck on the rocks,  he forced the reel drag to pull the jigg and after some pulls he could get his jig back, but found that the preset knob of the reel no longer move forward or backwards.

he tried with some locking pliers but no avail, I tried the same and still nothing, so I dont want to forced too much because its a pain to get replacement parts for those reels, if it would have an accurate or shimano or penn I would have already ordered the parts.

I tried holding the center of the part on a screwdriver big flat head and using a locking plier on the screw/moving knob but nothing.

so, what would you guys do to separate them?
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Alex, without the reel in my hand, I would take the right side plate off and look at the cam.  In order to move the pre-set knob the drag must be completely off.  Something went wrong behind the lever.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Dom, the 1st 3 pictures are the pre-set knob assembly, its pretty similar to Accurate Boss pre-set knob on which the preset knob doest screw on the shaft of the spool like most of the leverdrags but the same pre-set knob have an adjustment, all that assembly gets attached to the spool shaft by a screw or by a C-Clip.

this one has the problem that the knob no longer move (screw back and forth) on its own base

all the parts on the red square are the pre-set knob in 3 pcs, the ones with the small blue circles get togheter by the tread on the knob
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Hi Alex,
I'd first try heating the insert base (I think JM call it the 'pre-programme key').
It's milled steel, so a bit of heat might (hopefully) expand it slightly away from the tension knob thread.
The key could be clamped gently in a vice (it only needs rotational lock against the pins, rather than being squeezed).
Then wrap the jaws of a vice grip or small pipe-wrench in cloth and try turning the drag tension knob.
Beware though - being alloy, it'll scuff pretty easily if the teeth get through the cloth.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

steelfish

Quote from: redsetta on June 14, 2022, 01:45:57 AMHi Alex,
I'd first try heating the insert base (I think JM call it the 'pre-programme key').
It's milled steel, so a bit of heat might (hopefully) expand it slightly away from the tension knob thread.
The key could be clamped gently in a vice (it only needs rotational lock against the pins, rather than being squeezed).
Then wrap the jaws of a vice grip or small pipe-wrench in cloth and try turning the drag tension knob.
Beware though - being alloy, it'll scuff pretty easily if the teeth get through the cloth.
Good luck, Justin

thanks Justin, I already noticed the aluminum is pretty mild (not surprise), it seems that a thin plastic is between the two pieces part #31 on the pic of post #2, it looks as a O-ring or could be a just a thin friction shim, my take is that I think that piece is jammed between the treads of the knob, so, I bit of heat may expand the base as you said and also might shrinkg the plastic and could help to separate the two parts, I dont think I will have chance to try it for a couple of days but that will be my 1st try.

thanks for your comment amigo.
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Quite right Alex - #31 is a rubber O-ring that sits in the groove beneath the knurling on #30...

steelfish

Quote from: redsetta on June 14, 2022, 01:45:57 AMHi Alex,
Good luck, Justin

well Justin, let me tell you, thanks a lot.

followed your tips and it worked as expected.
after heating both parts with a heat gun for few seconds, I tried to separate the parts and it worked with not much efforts, I actually tried almost the same procedure without heating the parts with the same tools with no avail, so, pretty much the heat did the trick.

the marks on the #30 part were done by the owner of the reel when he tried to move the knob
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Hardy Boy

heat .................. the reel repairman's friend !! Where you live can't you just set it outside in the sun ??

Cheers:

Todd :d
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on June 23, 2022, 10:55:07 PMheat .................. the reel repairman's friend !! Where you live can't you just set it outside in the sun ??
Cheers:
Todd :d

you want a bit of controlled heat only, not melted aluminum amigo !!

the summer just started on Jun 21st. mid July- mid aug is the peak

DID you see where it says NIGHT temps? aarrg 84*f at midnight
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

we have not even hit 20 Celsius for a day time high this year. This morning was 7.

I would melt in those temps.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

my homecity is Mexicali, which is 2 hrs north from where I live, Mexicali is border with USA (calexico, Ca.)
yesterday, Mexicali was the hottest city in the world at 1:00pm. according to a local TV channel

we get a similar weather than Mexicali, both cities are located in the same big desert, the only difference is the breeze of the Sea help to reduce around 10*f the hot climate during the day and by night around 20*f and that helps a lot.

The Baja Guy