Penn 975CSLD Problems

Started by smeagol, February 09, 2012, 01:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeagol

Hi Guys,

I leant my immaculate Penn 975CSLD to a friend and its come back in bad shape  :(.  The end of the spindle has been snapped off, and the spindle itself is bent (how do you do that?).  Anyway, I've ordered a new spindle, my question is how to remove the plastic assembly at the end of the spindle?  The retaining clip has been snapped off also, so I'm guessing when I dissasemble from the other end it should come off?  Pictures attached, thanks.

redsetta

G'day and welcome smeagol,
I haven't seen one in a while but, as far as I recall, the plastic assembly is integral with the spool (#29L).
The spindle slides through the tubular sleeve and the retaining ring fits on the spindle, just above the edge of the sleeve.
You may just be able to slide in the new spindle (and bearing) and affix a new retaining ring.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

smeagol

Thanks Justin, that would certainly be nice if that is the case, I will try slipping the spindle ou when I get home tonight.  My only concern is that the plastic assembly is also damaged which I certainly hope doesnt mean a whole new spool.

from the following diagram it does appear as though it should come apart.

http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/int/975CSLD.pdf

alantani

the plastic piece is only $10 and i have one if you need it.  it is possible that you might need a new spool.  i think i have one of those in line, so i will take a look.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

smeagol

OK, I've taken the reel apart and inside is pristine, not the slightest sign of corrosion or salt water intrusion - its always been well serviced.

In the third photo you can see the problem, the part that is broken isnt even listed on the parts schematic, so I guess its classed as an entire part #29L.  Looks like I need the entire spool assembly......  Part #156 the drag cover is also damaged  :(

Justin, looks like you are a fellow kiwi?

redsetta

Indeed, there's a few kiwis on Alan's site.
Clem's the wizard though - keep an eye out for him.
How did your mate break the spindle?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

smeagol

It looks like the reel screws were tightened down before the end of the shaft was properly seated in the end bearing.  Alan, did you say you may have a complete assembly for sale?  Thanks.

alantani

all i have is the idler gear.  when i did the rebuild post, i did nothing on the left side of the spool.  never even looked at the post.  i have a reel on the bench right now, so i'll pull it apart and take a look, but i do not se a separate part number for just that stainless steel post. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!