Bad Day at Depoe Bay

Started by Keta, February 09, 2012, 03:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Depoe Bay is a good but small harbor with a narrow entrance open to the north Pacific.  The captain in the video is very experienced at taking his boat through the slot that is narrower than his boat is long.  The behavior of the people in the photo below is not so smart.   There is now only one Depoe based charter captain that hasn't hit these rocks and I think about it for some time before crossing it in my 16' and 21' boats.

From the rocks above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwXuHPktc4&feature=youtu.be

On the boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTdt3jL-zx4&feature=player_embedded

A very bad day to cross.  The charter boat in the video was between the ledge these idiots are about to hit and the rock in the foreground.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

That's scary stuff.  I'm sure there's a lot of accidents or even deaths at that port.  In that photo, is that someone riding on the bow of the boat?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 09, 2012, 03:44:42 PM
In that photo, is that someone ridinging on the bow of the boat?

Yes...and why????  The boat in the photo is north of the cut/channel, surfing in on the face of a breaking wave and in a bad situation. I think the guy on the bow survived with a pair of broken legs after hitting the ledge hard.

Surprisingly there have been few fatalities at Depoe but most respect it or fear it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Hey Lee:  You would think that the locals would dynamite those rocks.  There is no reason to expose themselves and their customers to that danger.  Hire a dredging company and fix it.  Call the Army Corp of Engineers.  If they get interested it will get fixed.  They really ought to do something.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

rich oba lost the sydney mae II out of winchest bay 7 years ago.  it was probably just as ugly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Great links Lee - looks like an intense spot!
Must be some cracker surf around there.
Here's one from Greymouth, on the West Coast of NZ's South Island.
Pretty standard conditions, as far as I'm aware.

Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 09, 2012, 06:41:07 PM
rich oba lost the sydney mae II out of winchest bay 7 years ago.  it was probably just as ugly.  

I miss Rich and wish he'd show up.   The Umpqua Bar, Winchester Bay, can get nasty fast.

The ledge on the north could be moved but inshore of this spot is a high rock ridge to the south and North America on the North.

The NZ video looks like some Oregon bars.   The Columbia River Bar is the worse I've seen, possibly the worse in the world.

Here's how it should be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=UWBlc-eRYoQ

Mark Twain

redsetta

alantani

i didn't know he was out of jail......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I can't remember for sure but I think someone said he was out.  He made a major mistake but he should have never spent time in prison.

Mark Twain

misokat

they run 2 charters a day outta there? omg, and i complian about my inlet?  i sure hope the run steel hulled boats, talk about stress 2 times a day, no frigging way.
Capt M Nelsen, Blue Max Sportfishing.
http://bluemaxsportfishing.com/

Alto Mare

Quote from: misokat on February 10, 2012, 12:51:04 AM
they run 2 charters a day outta there? omg, and i complian about my inlet?  i sure hope the run steel hulled boats, talk about stress 2 times a day, no frigging way.

X2, they're out of their minds to put up with that
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

I reckon the challenge is half the fun.  ;) ;D
I'd love to have a crack at it...
If I'm ever up your way Lee, I'll be looking you up.  ;)
Cheers, Justin

Keta

That's just one boat, there are a few other cattle boats, plus some 6 pack boats, several private boats and many trailer boats run out of Depoe.

redsetta,
Any time

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on February 10, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
I reckon the challenge is half the fun.  ;) ;D
I'd love to have a crack at it...
If I'm ever up your way Lee, I'll be looking you up.  ;)
Cheers, Justin
Justin, you mentioned that you like your coffee strong with a shot of milk. I believe that you do add a shot in that coffee, but milk is not it :-\   ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.