Pics of a couple things I have done

Started by WVHillbilly, July 15, 2022, 09:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHillbilly

Folks always like pictures. Anyways .... A pair of Penn 180s I made cross bars for. The bottom one was first and I did not care for the full length slot across the bar. Aesthetically it just sucked. So the one above it was slotted limited to the through hole. I also modified the base on the second to permit a rod clamp thingy. Anyways ..... Hope to contribute more as I go along. Been a messin around for a few years now making parts and such. Hobby ..... not a job. :)
the Olympic Dolphin 614 is in the back, and what I am currently messing with.
Feeshin is Feeshin

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

Tidy work - I'm interested to know how you shaped the bars and the grooves? I've done a couple myself with a drill press and files but yours look a lot neater  :D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: WVHillbilly on July 15, 2022, 09:02:18 PMFolks always like pictures. Anyways .... A pair of Penn 180s I made cross bars for. The bottom one was first and I did not care for the full length slot across the bar. Aesthetically it just sucked. So the one above it was slotted limited to the through hole. I also modified the base on the second to permit a rod clamp thingy. Anyways ..... Hope to contribute more as I go along. Been a messin around for a few years now making parts and such. Hobby ..... not a job. :)

You will fit in here quite well with this kinda stuff .
Looks like somebody wrapped their Braided Line around the Knob on that middle one . Not that I would know ANYTHING bout that. ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

WVHillbilly

Quote from: mhc on July 16, 2022, 01:24:26 PMTidy work - I'm interested to know how you shaped the bars and the grooves? I've done a couple myself with a drill press and files but yours look a lot neater  :D

Mike

I have an old lathe and mill I completely rebuilt. I started with a chunk of thick wall aluminum tube. Turned inside and outside to size. Then I used a sideplate to locate the holes. The chunk of aluminum tube makes 5 crossbars if ya lay em out smartly. The slots are cut on my mill. Hand file round the edges. Bit of recess on back sides to prevent line pinch and some clearance. They are turned to form to the shape of the reel. Instead of drilling and tapping the side screws I through drilled them and pressed the original supports in. That way they just go back in like the original bar pins did. Stouter than the aluminum as well. Hope this helps
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 16, 2022, 03:34:41 PM
Quote from: WVHillbilly on July 15, 2022, 09:02:18 PMFolks always like pictures. Anyways .... A pair of Penn 180s I made cross bars for. The bottom one was first and I did not care for the full length slot across the bar. Aesthetically it just sucked. So the one above it was slotted limited to the through hole. I also modified the base on the second to permit a rod clamp thingy. Anyways ..... Hope to contribute more as I go along. Been a messin around for a few years now making parts and such. Hobby ..... not a job. :)

You will fit in here quite well with this kinda stuff .
Looks like somebody wrapped their Braided Line around the Knob on that middle one . Not that I would know ANYTHING bout that. ::)

LOL! At least in this case that handle was like that when I got it. I have done the same however tying bimini twists. :D
Feeshin is Feeshin

mhc

Quote from: WVHillbilly on July 16, 2022, 06:03:31 PMI have an old lathe and mill....

Thanks, that will help keep things aligned (I should've noticed the reels in the photo are sitting on a mill vice, on a mill  :D ). Looking forward to seeing some more of your creations and modifications.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

is a half frame on the list of things to do?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

WVHillbilly

Quote from: alantani on July 18, 2022, 12:15:10 AMis a half frame on the list of things to do?
that very idea is where I was headed originally. I am still considering the design. Mostly due to the reel seat. :) I have looked a bit for premade reel seats I could fasten to the bottom. If I find such an item, then a half frame becomes much simpler.
Feeshin is Feeshin

alantani

and a stainless steel bar would be a nice way to top it off!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!