Olympic Dolphin 614 with more to do …..

Started by WVHillbilly, July 15, 2022, 09:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHillbilly

So I picked up the 615 to the right, mostly for the longer power handle. That long handle is rather difficult to come by and not all 615s even had them. I also moved the larger star drag from the 615. More roomier than the smaller star. i have cleaned and reworked the guts including carbontex drags. the Penn size 6-60 fits on the OD, but I had to open up the ID to fit over the shaft thingy. I may make a pic/video thingy of how I do this, but I simply use the main gear with washers installed, make a suitable washer thick enough to be higher than the gear, index it using the drill press device thingy, clamp the sh*t out the assembly and drill/mill the center hole to the correct diameter .........
I have not tested the drags yet, but am likely close to 20lbs - ish. Slapped a Penn rod clamp on it as well. Considering making some aluminum cross bars for it. Anyways ... thanks for everyones help so far.
Feeshin is Feeshin

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

Those are Good reels but the Achilles is the Bridge plates .
The shafts are too small .Gears are great though.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

WVHillbilly

I have read here and other places of such as a weak point. Looking decent and doing what it needs to do are sometimes opposites. I have others for spare parts. With what I do and feesh for, I will likely be pretty safe. If a monster comes along? Well thats life sometimes. Thanks again Wompus Cat!
Feeshin is Feeshin

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 15, 2022, 10:42:18 PMThose are Good reels but the Achilles is the Bridge plates .
The shafts are too small .Gears are great though.

is that also true for Olympic-made Heddon & red K-Mart

thanks

WVHillbilly

Philaroman

that would be correct. The olympic dolphin, Immec, Compaq, Kmart, Sears, Heddon, Hurricane, Kencor and garcia kigfisher were all made in japan by the same manufacturer. Part can swap around for the most part as long as within size. There is a serious lack of info on these reels, but I will help anyone in any way I can. i have torn apart and messed with many of them. Its the size of a Penn 3/0, so it has similar limits for the size. The 615 is 4/0 size
Feeshin is Feeshin

Wompus Cat

Here is a Comparison I did with one of my Olympics
to Penn 113H,114H measurements .
Surprising.
https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php/topic,239.msg609.html#msg609

WVHillbilly

Thank you for that comparison post. I had not seen it. Made me curious to tear down the filthy 615 and low and behold .... Broken shaft right at the through pin spot. Spare parts stuff now.
Feeshin is Feeshin

Wompus Cat

QuoteThank you for that comparison post. I had not seen it. Made me curious to tear down the filthy 615 and low and behold .... Broken shaft right at the through pin spot. Spare parts stuff now.

Au contraire
Like I said that is the Achilles on these BUT

It can be salvaged .
I does it all the time

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 16, 2022, 12:11:09 AMHere is a Comparison I did with one of my Olympics
to Penn 113H,114H measurements .
Surprising.
https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php/topic,239.msg609.html#msg609

hey, that's a DS-12 -- happy to learn they're better-made than Dolphins   
I have its little cousin DS-6 (or DS-4...  I think odd# = line-counter)
NIB, so I never opened it...  outside, as I recall: LW, no lugs, no outer rings

Quote from: WVHillbilly on July 15, 2022, 11:50:43 PMPhilaroman

that would be correct. The olympic dolphin, Immec, Compaq, Kmart, Sears, Heddon, Hurricane, Kencor and garcia kigfisher were all made in japan by the same manufacturer. Part can swap around for the most part as long as within size. There is a serious lack of info on these reels, but I will help anyone in any way I can. i have torn apart and messed with many of them. Its the size of a Penn 3/0, so it has similar limits for the size. The 615 is 4/0 size

have a few older Olympic NIB which will stay that way, 
but K-Mart seems the least collectible re-brand & I got them (207, 303)
already lightly used w/ no extras, so they should go into use w/ fresh lube
weak[er] plates means lighter duty, so original drags may stay if smooth enough

WVHillbilly

Now that right there is why Wompus Cat makes the big bucks!
Feeshin is Feeshin

Wompus Cat

Quote from: WVHillbilly on July 16, 2022, 01:08:33 PMNow that right there is why Wompus Cat makes the big bucks!

Alan pays me Double what he pays the others here and a lot of People think I am Worth it too. :d

WVHillbilly

Working on that broken shaft Olympic Dolphin 615 as discussed above. After driving the end of the shaft out is is very clear it had galled. While this may be a weak spot in these reels, I would suggest that anyone who has one, picks up one or whatever ... to disassemble the reel and remove the sleeve. Clean up the shaft and inside of sleeve very good! This was likely caused by lack of lubrication and accumulated corrosion that cause the failure. Anyways ... gonna try to redrill sleeve in other location as pointed put above. Someone will find this usedul at some point. Included pic of very clear galling. Two dissimilar metals in this case. What appears to be a stainless shaft with the sleeve being brass.
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Now a let me tell ya ..... that one tricky hole to drill. Needed to also relieve just a slight tad on the shaft spinning it in the lathe with a fine file. Tricky biz right there. Anyways... should have the 615 repaired and we see how it survives
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

One broken shaft repaired Dolphin 615. Runs smooth. May get some stainless tubing to cover up the ugly cross bars. Anyway .... Thanks for tips and advice. I am out.
Feeshin is Feeshin