Tight line - loss of freespool

Started by reelgood, February 09, 2012, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelgood

Has anyone ever wound line so tight on a reel, like 20-30# of drag, that it has squeezed the center of the spool and affected freespool?  The spool is a heavy Penn International so it seems odd but there is a huge difference in freespool and this is the only thing that has changed, I wound 300 yards of 80# mono onto the reel at 25# of drag give or take and the freespool was perfect before but very tight now and this was the only change made?

Keta

When you put mono on tight it stretches and gets thinner, when it relaxes it returns to it's former diameter.  When it does it has a lot of force and can destroy a spool.  When I lived in Alaska the guys that targeted larger halibut were constantly spreading and/or destroying spools, a good thing for me, not so much for them.  I eventualy convinced them to fill their reels with Dacron and later Spectra.

You might be able to save the heavy spool if you take the compressed mono off right away.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

reelgood

I suppose if each wrap is cumulative in pressure the sum could be tremendous, I will remove the line and see what happens just wanted to check before I get sweaty again :)

Bryan Young

Lee's right on the money with that one.  Affects large reels as do small reels.  Never wrap mono tight like you do with spectra or dacron.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Putting line on a big reel gets tiring fast, I've had to re-do it a few times in the past.  Can you put some Dacron or Spectra backing on the reel to buffer the mono?  Can you get by with a shorter mono section?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on February 09, 2012, 04:05:25 PM
When you put mono on tight it stretches and gets thinner, when it relaxes it returns to it's former diameter.  When it does it has a lot of force and can destroy a spool.  When I lived in Alaska the guys that targeted larger halibut were constantly spreading and/or destroying spools, a good thing for me, not so much for them.  I eventualy convinced them to fill their reels with Dacron and later Spectra.

You might be able to save the heavy spool if you take the compressed mono off right away.
Lee:  I never heard anything like this.  Hang around this site long enough we'll all become reel experts.  Keep the good stuff coming.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

akfish

Penn used to include a small sheet in their reels saying that if you used mono, you should remove it from your reel after every day's fishing. Really.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

reelgood

thanks guys, that was it, took the line off and back to normal

i don't normally put line on that tight especially mono, just got a little overzealous in low gear  ;D