Screws are STUCK!

Started by Striper Killa, February 09, 2012, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striper Killa

Hey gentlemen,

so one of the screws on the handle to remove the handle and get to the pinion bearing is stuck. The other one comes out but this one i have tried everything. they are super small screws. i seem to have stripped the head a little. Whats teh solution for this?

thanks
gabe

redsetta

G'day Gabe,
There are a few threads on Alan's site that discuss a variety of techniques - here's a good one to get you started:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2548.0
You may also want to try a search on 'stripped screws'.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

akfish

Have you just rounded out the Phillips head? If so and the screw is still intact, take a Dermel tool and cut in a slot so you and use a slot head screwdriver. That usualy works for me in these cases. If the screw breaks off in the handle, smooth the top of the broken screw and install the handle nut lock with just the one screw. It will work fine. Oh yea: Remember to grease **every** screw when you put the reel back together.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

qcguy4198

I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but on the subject of stuck screws I've found that sometimes a good penetrant like PB Blaster and PATIENCE will work. Get as much penetrant on and around the stuck screw as possible. Put your screwdriver in the slot and tap the end of the handle a few times with a lightweight hammer.
Let it sit awhile...then repeat. This can take several treatments over a couple of days to see results. If I'm not in a hurry, I always try giving it this kind of patient treatment before starting any of the more drastic methods.
May not work, but if you don't have to have it done right away...why not try. ??

Keta

If you can't cut a slot in the screw with a Dremel and you have access to a drill press drill the head of the screw off with a drill bit that is the same size as the screw. After the part is removed put some penetrating oil or 50/50 acetone/ATF on the screw, let it set for 30 min or so, tap the screw lightly a few times and try to back it out using Vice-grips.

Grease all screws during reassembly.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

single speed or two speed?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

D'oh!!!! 

Don't take my advice on a single speed, not much screw to grab after removing the head.  Use a left hand drill bit, most of the time it will grab and spin the screw out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain