HOW Does it Work?

Started by Gfish, July 18, 2022, 12:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

This is an automatic 2-speed XLT 1 Abu Garcia Ambassadeur, 1989 model and it's messin with my ego!
I cannot figure-out how the "automatic 2-speed" system works.

Overall, IMO, it's a late 80's example of a great company, keeping-up the tradition of intricate & well designed reels, but on this model, using inferior build materials, i.e. graphite composite almost everywhere they can.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

I took a bunch of photos and I'll try to only include those pertinent to my question. I disassembled it last night then reassembled it without the gear-side cover.

Watched it carefully as I pulled line out in free-spool and against drag. Played with the drag-star, the "Auto-Shift Dial(#95134) which is labeled "Sprint" on one side and "Winch" on the other. Turning the dial towards Sprint(in towards the drag-star)gives you 6.1:1, and towards Winch(towards the handle)gets it to 3.8:1. Cranked fast, cranked against drag friction, etc., etc.

The only thing I could see out of the ordinary was that in Winch mode the low speed main gear on the top, moved slightly faster than the larger main gear below it??? In Sprint mode, both gears moved the at the same speed...

Pictures will go from no gears, to rebuilt without side plate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Pictures above: note there is what I'll call 2 "pinion idler gears". They sit on top of each other and have little cams that interlock when cranking. Pictures 2,3 & 4.

Gfish

More;

nelz

Hope you were able to reassemble that! I wouldn't mess with it!

Gfish

Gettin there;

alantani

even though they are stacked on top of each other, it's basically two separate sets of gears with two separate sets of drag washers.  it really is a very clever system.  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

I'm gettin used to these Abu Baitcasters Nelz. Has the "flippin Switch" , tail-plate quick release-cam lock which contains the adjustable Mag cast control and releases the spool. A horrible graphite reel seat(including the frame attachment section-???). 2-spool ball bearings and one on the shaft near the friction control cover. Stupid squeeze-on rubber handle knobs(they squeeze-on over riveted shafts), a graphite handle, a mostly graphite levelwind carriage, too awful to keep listing this crap. But, probably functions ok as a 12# Bass reel.

The addition of extra pressure on the drag system, via turning the AutoShift dial towards the drag-star, gets it into high-gear. Cranking the AS dial back towards the handle puts it in low gear, BUT HOW??? Does the high-speed gear somehow slip as the low speed gear is engaged, they both look like they are engaged as you crank the handle in both high and low gears!?!?...

I don't have to know, but my ego's tellin me I gotta figure it out...

Gfish

Quote from: alantani on July 18, 2022, 01:01:40 AMeven though they are stacked on top of each other, it's basically two separate sets of gears with two separate sets of drag washers.  it really is a very clever system.  ;D

Thanks Allen, I get what you're saying, I think...😗 so one gear/washer set slips while the other is fully engaged?

alantani

Gfish

PacRat

Thanks G, I have one of these also but I haven't even looked under the hood to see how it works. Mine doesn't have a flippin switch but it does have a metal foot. I appreciate that you posted a schematic.

Does anyone remember a post about a 9/0 2-speed? This design reminds me of that. I'll run a search to see if I can find it.
*Edit* I just found this: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19277.msg204986#msg204986

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gfish on July 18, 2022, 01:22:19 AM
Quote from: alantani on July 18, 2022, 01:01:40 AMeven though they are stacked on top of each other, it's basically two separate sets of gears with two separate sets of drag washers.  it really is a very clever system.  ;D

Thanks Allen, I get what you're saying, I think...😗 so one gear/washer set slips while the other is fully engaged?

Oh, that makes sense now. I've been trying to figure it out for years now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

I get it in concept. But my OCD self still don't know exactly how each unit functions: why does the upper Winch gear fully engage when the extra pressure from the auto dial on the drag-stack is released? Why do both gears, both idler pinions and the main pinion turn while the drive train is in either high or low gear?

alantani

i've worked on several of them.  i go very carefully, then back very carefully out.  i could never pick up a box of jumbled parts and expect to get it back together.   :-\