Olympic Dolphin 5 +1 drag stack

Started by WVHillbilly, July 19, 2022, 12:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHillbilly

The Dolphin 614/615 reels measure ID .468" / 11.89mm and OD .806" / 20.47mm on the metal washers. Snooping Brian Youngs brilliant design ...... and finding an article by Alan on a Daiwa 50H rebuild .... and knowing these reels along with Daiwa were built in Japanola ....
The 7-60 eared metal washer fits the main gear. I would need to drill out the center hole to diameter require. Thank God its a round hole. The round metal washers are that keyed style center hole. It appears the Penn 855 uses a part # 86-855 that measures 11.99mm on the center hole. They could be turned down to OD diameter required. I also possess and surface grinder to grind to thickness on metal. Stainless may be an issue.
Questions ....
Is anyone aware of metal washers that meet the original measurements? Maybe daiwa, Newell, etc?
Since the CF material in Brain's 6-60 stack is very thin ... best way to alter ID of such?
Does anyone think .004 oversized from the keyed metal washers would be any serious issue?
Or any other suggestions of info that may make doing this a heck of a lot easier is appreciated.
Thank you kindly

Also consider and upgrade to gear/pinion system and such ... but that aint on the plate right now.
Feeshin is Feeshin

thorhammer

I dunno the answers to any of this, but glad you are on board! This is some good stuff.

John

alantani

it's possible that other washers work, but the chances are slim.  i'd just stick to the original design.  i might still have a few of these reels here, lost somewhere, in the garage.  :-\  the drag washers were all pretty small.  not alot of drag range with these. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

WVHillbilly

Understood Alan. The main gear is kinda smallish for the size reel, but seems on par with Penn 113 Black. Whether I can open it up for a larger gear and pinion is likely doubtful ... but this ole Polish hack always wants to find a way.
On another note.... Can anyone provide me with this diameter dimension of this Daiwa Part #376-3401 metal washer? It is claimed to fit 30SH,300H,350H,50H sealine reels. If Alan measurements from his 50H rebuild are correct, this part might be a better choice/candidate for the round metal drag washers.
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

This guy i know from hack fabrication uses needle files and chain saw files .
  You can get stainless steel washers from the hardware store that can be used if you have the time .
        IT`s not that bad ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

WVHillbilly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 19, 2022, 05:21:15 PMThis guy i know from hack fabrication uses needle files and chain saw files .
  You can get stainless steel washers from the hardware store that can be used if you have the time .
        IT`s not that bad ...

That is exactly my last resort option. But if I can machine/grind I would prefer such. :)
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

If ya want the truth .... it is beginning to appear as though all these Penn clones made in japan use Daiwa internal parts. That sure seems to be what its looking like to me.
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Well I'll be dag gummit! Fer fartin in the forest ..... Had to tear down my Daiwa Sealine 30H to find out .... But low and behold fellow feeshin reel hackers. The Penn 60 is on top, and underneath them? The Daiwa sealine 30H washers. The measurements are so close it could have been error on my part. So as I have suspected, the Penn clone reels made in Japan sourced Daiwa parts for at least some, if not many of their reels. The exception in this case is the metal round Daiwa 30H washers are at least twice as thick as the Penn 60 metal washers, and I have not torn back down the Dolphin 614 yet, but the brass washers in it are thin like the Penn 60 washers. For me that is simply a matter of surface grinding, which if I would need to do for a 5 + 1 stack anyways. the gitch has left the building ..............
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Seldom do manufacturers custom create thingys, unless brand new or changes are made. Most will use manufactured parts that already exist. Just how it is. Hope this helps someone at some point. japan penn clone? Japan daiwa. Bet ya some shimano stuff is same size as well ... but I am not a shimano guy.
Feeshin is Feeshin