Built Hard Engines?

Started by jgp12000, July 24, 2022, 12:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

If you try it, let us know how it works out.  It is a good price.

Parts & service could be an issue down the road, as they are with most Chinese manufacturers.  So if it did fail after the warranty period —- you might have to buy another engine.

For me, if I was going to keep my Snapper and use it on a regular basis —- a Honda engine would be my choice.

Have had good service from Briggs & Stratton also, and there are dozens of engine manufacturers out there today —- ranging from Subaru to B&S to Koehler.  Most are Asian products and can be found at Harbor Freight, Amazon, and other online places.  The problems start to arise when you have an issue and take it to your local guy —- and he sez: no parts availability, or the parts are more expensive than another engine, or I won't work on these.

Yes, Hondas are more expensive —- and there is a good reason for that.  It is generally the last engine you will bolt onto the Snapper.

I have lots of small gas engine pieces of equipment.  And the best ones are Honda powered.  Wood splitter, Honda mower, pressure washer, generator.  First crank every time —- unless I forget to choke or turn on the on/off switch.

At my point in life —- the last thing I need is an engine with issues.

Let us know how it works out for you —- might be just fine.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

yep Fred the 3.5 hp B&S that came on it ran for 38 years then I had to put a carb on it, then the pull cord stayed out this last go round. I bought an American reel mower to cut around the dock but it ain't self PP...it's James propelled! it's the best toy I ever bought though, my 7 year old grandson loves it for 5 mins. I don't know how Wally and the Beev did it back in the day, but they weren't fat and old. Northern still has a B&S I think they dropped the veritcal Honda in the smaller HP. There is a Built Hard branch in GA, but I know you are right about parts availability and I wanna make it last 38 more years.

oldmanjoe

That 38 year old briggs , had one of the best carburetors , cast iron sleeve cylinder and rebuild able recoil  .  Just heat up the end of the spring and bend a new hook on it ,and call it good ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare