81 Penn International

Started by GORDASKIPPER, July 24, 2022, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

Hello, and I've read here about soaking my reel in vinegar for 24hrs? I have only 2 screws that won't come out on the handle side reel stand? What else can I do besides leaving it alone?

Shellbelly

The corrosion is likely to be just around the screw head and is binding it.  Acid will help, but you'll likely have to get physical to dislodge the built-up crusty stuff. 

Don't give up, it needs to come out. 

There are some solutions on this site..."some" is putting it lightly.  Search, "stuck screws" and you'll likely see everything from WD40 to dynamite.  There are also some preventative suggestions as well.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Squidder Bidder

You're going to want to use the least extreme techniques first - vinegar soak is a good start. A good penetrating oil (many recommendations here) should be next. On a recommendation here I picked up PB Blaster at the local Orange tool store and it worked well for me.

Wompus Cat

You can take a  screwdriver that fits well in the screw head and then tap on the top of the screw driver . Then try tightening the screw a bit ,then try loosening a bit ,Repeat this  this back and forth a few times and it my loosen up enough to extract those Stubborn Screws .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

1badf350

Don't soak any part of that reel in vinegar. Aluminum and vinegar do not react well together.
Try the technique Wompus Cat described above but be careful of your torque or you will snap the screw head off.
Worst case scenario leave it alone
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

redsetta

I agree re: not soaking in vinegar.
Might want to try targeted heating though.
The frame and screw will expand at different rates, which - in my experience - often frees the corroded part.
Even a lighter can do the trick if you don't have a heat gun or butane torch.
Any blackening on the frame will wipe right off...
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cuttyhunker

A guy named Harry once said "A man has to know his limitations."
This stuff can be well above my pay grade, and I have found an old machinist whose shop looks more like a museum. Give him the reel and the broken/frozen stuff comes out.  I never watch him do it, as that would probably cost extra, or lead to banishment. Give him cash, never ask for a receipt. Did I mention he works alone?  Expertise has its value.
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

Soldering iron on screw head may work for localized heat, if that's what you have access to. Vinegar and aluminum do not like each other as noted- I made a purple Daiwa Sealine out of a stock gray one to gain that piece of intel. PB stinks, but good stuff. Def work screw tight then loose as stated above.

John

GORDASKIPPER

Thanks for all the ideas I will pursue this venture carefully...however, I did do the apple cider vinegar and it cleaned the reel remarkably well I'll post pictutres...next question do I use Cal's drag grease the big washer is bone dry?

PacRat

Penetrating oil + time are a good start. Heat/cold also help a lot. As mentioned earlier different metals will expand at different rates. It looks like you're in Houston so you could leave your whole reel on the dash of your truck and it will get as hot as required. You can wrap it in black plastic for more heat and to prevent it from dripping. After it's good and hot you can apply the corner of an ice cube directly to the screw head. Sometimes the thermo-cycle will break the bond.

GORDASKIPPER

I got them out by using your suggested methods. I had some Bore Scrubber I let that soak then tighten and one came out. The second one was stuck like chuck. So I unscrewed the stand and beat the bolt out by the same method. Thanks for the help now about the drag washer grease or not ??

thorhammer

can you post a pic of the washer? 1981 maybe asbestos or fiber, not carbon fiber, so that matters.

GORDASKIPPER

Quote from: thorhammer on July 26, 2022, 01:51:21 PMcan you post a pic of the washer? 1981 maybe asbestos or fiber, not carbon fiber, so that matters.

I slightly greased the asbestos by mistake and will need to disassemble the reel if advised? The other reel (have 2 the same one is 81 the other 84) is has a newer fiber washer and dry?

thorhammer

Everything I've heard is run asbestos dry, or replace with duradrag washer. Have an 80 sitting impatiently for me to do the same. Had the duradrag for two years lol.

PacRat

x2 on de-greasing the asbestos drag washer. Run that thing dry and make sure no grease or oil inside the reel will seep onto it. If I were you, I would look into the possibility of a Duradrag conversion (you may or may not need to swap shafts). Run the asbestos for now but keep your eye open for the Duradrag.

-Mike