115L Bearing stuck on spool

Started by Cuttyhunker, July 26, 2022, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Working on bringing back a well (ab)used 9/0, the boss helped out with a main gear but now I'm looking at a bearing frozen on the axle of the clicker side of the spool.  Bearing seems fine so I'd like to save it and not get too deep into the old girl if I can.  Would heating it like a pinion wreck the bearing?  Looking for help before breaking out the BFH.
Thanks
DSC02254.JPG
DSC02253.JPG 
Doomed from childhood

foakes

OK, if you are set on saving the bearing —- just soak it in penetrating oil —- flush and relube —- use it as is.

I don't do that though.  I waste the bearing and install a new one after cleaning up the spool end.

Never have to think about it after that.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

If you heat the bearing it will be no good after that anyway.      Rudy

Shellbelly

Boiling water worked for me.  If it comes loose, dress the inside with a q-tip and degreaser until it comes out clean.  Flush the bearing with a solvent.  I put mine on a tapered dowel, spray it, spin it, repeat until I get no more dark stuff.  Dip in acetone and let it dry.  Lube, reassemble, FISH. 

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Cuttyhunker

There are 2 different bearings on the clicker side for the 114H & 115L.  I have the older one here, and Mystic is out. The old style has the slotted piece under the cap, the new is a little larger with no slots. Not interchangeable.  If I can salvage this one great.  This is a reel I plan to sell so leaving the bearing frozen on the axle is not an option.  Would anyone have a spare 40-114H (old) not the 40-114HL (new) bearing if I can't save this one
Thanks40-114HL Bearing, Non-Handle Side (newer type reels with o-ring) 2022-07-26 17-30-29.jpg
Doomed from childhood