Winding machines for reels , what do you have

Started by oldmanjoe, May 16, 2024, 06:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish, Donnyboat, ExcessiveAngler, sciaenops, broadway, rogan, Lunker Larry and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lunker Larry

This works for me. Bolt with old drag washers and lock washer gives me tension when putting line on and easily removed to put full spool on to respool.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 20, 2024, 07:29:19 PMThis works for me. Bolt with old drag washers and lock washer gives me tension when putting line on and easily removed to put full spool on to respool.

I like this ,Simple design . It looks like you have potential  3 drag systems for tensioning 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on May 20, 2024, 06:56:36 PMCool.
Joe, when you're on a quest, you don't mess around.
:D   Aren't you the same way ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

boon

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 20, 2024, 03:22:58 AMI would like to hear more about ,in-line drag solutions for spooling that seem like a good idea.
  I will ask , what the difference when the line goes through the tip top and the guides as far as abrading the line under drag .  Real question , just sharing ideas . 

The in-line solutions I have seen involve threading the line around several drums/bobbins in such a way that the line does not slide, rather the drums/bobbins rotate and have their own small drag systems. This way there is no tension on the fill spool other than enough to pull line from it.

As to the difference between the guides and some dowels... guides (at least good ones!!) are made from extremely hard, smooth material, intended to minimise friction as much as possible. In the example of a zig-zag board, the dowels are intended to add friction. I would guess that if you spooled braid (especially a coarser, 4 strand braid) under heavy drag and ran it around a soft pine dowel you would either saw through the dowel or it would get so hot it broke the braid.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: boon on Today at 02:12:43 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 20, 2024, 03:22:58 AMI would like to hear more about ,in-line drag solutions for spooling that seem like a good idea.
  I will ask , what the difference when the line goes through the tip top and the guides as far as abrading the line under drag .  Real question , just sharing ideas . 

The in-line solutions I have seen involve threading the line around several drums/bobbins in such a way that the line does not slide, rather the drums/bobbins rotate and have their own small drag systems. This way there is no tension on the fill spool other than enough to pull line from it.

As to the difference between the guides and some dowels... guides (at least good ones!!) are made from extremely hard, smooth material, intended to minimise friction as much as possible. In the example of a zig-zag board, the dowels are intended to add friction. I would guess that if you spooled braid (especially a coarser, 4 strand braid) under heavy drag and ran it around a soft pine dowel you would either saw through the dowel or it would get so hot it broke the braid.
Valid point , I can see the wooden dowel grooving with real high drag .  Got me thinking , I have some wind chime tubes that fit over the dowel loose enough to act as a bearing .         I see another test coming .