Crown Fishing Tackle reel

Started by Shellbelly, July 31, 2022, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I got this a while back.  I've been told it's a Winchester trade reel.  Got shut down by some much needed rain here in TX so this one jumped off the shelf.

Pretty basic 200-yard, direct drive reel with something close to 2:1 retrieve.  The posts fit into the plates, rather than onto them.  I had to dry-fit the screws because they liked going back where they came from.  I like a removable clicker spring on a reel.

One of the small screws had broken in the metal face plate and it looks like there was an attempt to "glue" it based on the stain inside.  I'll leave that alone.  One post screw wouldn't budge and that will be left alone too.  Other than that, it's in decent shape and the spool spins true with no wobble, excessive slop, or gear noise.  The handle fits well with no play.

The pinion doesn't have a keeper and the main gear seems to rely on a good dab of grease to keep it from wearing on the inside of the face plate....unless there was a leather, felt, or fiber washer tucked in the recessed area of the gear when it was young.

Pretty easy to spot a Winchester trade reel by looking at the posts.  Crown has a colorful history that's a good read on a rainy day. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

Nice simple reel. Don't think I'd put a lota stress on it though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Yes.  I think these might have had a short life span if they got regular use.  All the ones I've seen, and that's not many, are in similar shape as this.  Looks like they either wore out or the user didn't like it from the get-go and put it aside. 

I'd like to see the differences between this one and its Winchester cousin.  I only have a couple of trade reels...this one and a A.H. Fox.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)