What Does $20,000 Worth of Screws Look Like?

Started by foakes, July 31, 2022, 12:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Well, according to this guy on eBay —- about (2) handful's!!

I have a LOT of reel parts for vintage quality spinners from the 50's through late 80's.

DAM Quick, Penn, Mitchell, ABU.

For parts I generally give away to our good members that might cost me a stamp and an envelope —-

Here is a guy on eBay selling spool shaft/oscillation block screws that I generally give away —- for $10!

Will I stop giving away parts to our good members? —- No...

I am fortunate to be able to share these rare parts out to our members.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Fred, You've saved my bacon so many times. Without you I would have a pile of broken reels.

I guess I could canibalize them, and then I would only have half a pile of broken reels.

I really appreciate what you do for us. A new generation will discover the classics.

-Mike

Bill B

Mike is spot on.  Many of us have benefited from Fred's generosity.  From a Penn 349 AR dog, Mitchell 300 oscillation gear, multiple DAM Quick parts, and advice he has always stepped up.  Many of these reels would end up in a boneyard box. 

Thank you Fred, hope to share a rail with you sometime.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shellbelly

Ebay can be a wild place.  What about that huge stock of greenies for 15K?  It was out there for a long time....might still be.  I don't think it's the right place for selling out a 5-figure inventory.

Offering up what you can't or won't use to people who do the right thing is just plain good for the soul.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

It is interesting to see the new wantabe millionaires ,buy and sell fishing reels and parts and have absolutely no clue what they are trying to sell.     Oh yer , let me buy that part for 3 dollars and pay 16 dollars and change for shipping .   :fish 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldreelcatchum

Thanks Mr Fred, I for one appreciate you a lot. Stay safe.

Shellbelly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 31, 2022, 05:23:44 PM

It is interesting to see the new wantabe millionaires ,buy and sell fishing reels and parts and have absolutely no clue what they are trying to sell.    Oh yer , let me buy that part for 3 dollars and pay 16 dollars and change for shipping .  :fish 

Also, when a price is reduced, but shipping goes UP.  On a good note, I got a dollar bill with a reel once.  The thank you note said, "shipping refund".
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

oldmanjoe

Also, when a price is reduced, but shipping goes UP.

So i am not the only one that see this ??
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Maxed Out

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 31, 2022, 10:48:45 PMAlso, when a price is reduced, but shipping goes UP.

So i am not the only one that see this ??

This was a long time practice on ebay. Sellers offer an item for .99¢ and $22 shipping. The seller only paid ebay fees on the selling amount. eBay wised up and sellers now pay ebay fees on item price AND ALSO on the shipping fee charged to the buyer.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

The shipping kills most deals .    I can buy a reel from the state of Washington sent to Florida for 8-9 dollars .     The same reel in state or close states as much as 16- 20 dollars .  What happens when there is free shipping Eb looses ?

Maxed Out

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 01, 2022, 01:34:28 AMThe shipping kills most deals .    I can buy a reel from the state of Washington sent to Florida for 8-9 dollars .     The same reel in state or close states as much as 16- 20 dollars .  What happens when there is free shipping Eb looses ?

Free shipping on ebay is simply a gimmick phrase that simply means the shipping is included in the selling price. eBay still can't stop a seller for outrageously high shipping fees cause there are so many variables involved. I'm same as you Joe. Too high shipping fee is a deal breaker for me
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Midway Tommy

Shipping has fast become a deal breaker for nearly all lower end reels. I have a real hard time contemplating another $12.50 worth of shipping charges tacked on for a $25 or $30 reel. It didn't seem bad back when a 6x6x6 flat rate box was $6.50. Sometimes a guy could fit two reels in one of those boxes. Shipping increases the last 2 or 3 years has just about put an end to my eBay reel buying.  :( 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 01, 2022, 03:03:37 AMShipping has fast become a deal breaker for nearly all lower end reels. I have a real hard time contemplating another $12.50 worth of shipping charges tacked on for a $25 or $30 reel. It didn't seem bad back when a 6x6x6 flat rate box was $6.50. Sometimes a guy could fit two reels in one of those boxes. Shipping increases the last 2 or 3 years has just about put an end to my eBay reel buying.  :( 

It does take all the fun out of what we do when you buy a 6 dollar Reel or Part and the Shipping
Plus TAXES now on E-bay and elsewhere sometimes is double or tripple the price  than the piece you want.
It is that 15 percent inflation Reported recently  that did the same thing to my Folgers .It was 8.89 for 51 oz. last year and now with the 15 percent inflation it is 29.99 and up plus Math is not the same as it use to be if that is a 15 percent increase .
OH well we are not going to get out of this alive so itstill better than having bombs  and machine gun fire being hurled at you.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

I have started passing on Buy Now reels that I really want due to shipping.  My bids certainly are lower because of it and I'm seeing items languish at $45 + 22 shipping while $45 + 9.50 gets snatched up pretty quick.  That's pretty much, well, in-your-face blatant.  Some sellers appear to be trying to keep it down, but business is business.

You can tell the ones who are enjoying a hobby vs the ones who are running an enterprise.  No disrespect is intended...I understand covering cost and making margin.... when you have ACTUAL cost.  I've paid exorbitant shipping and got a reel in a bag or in a bubble wrap football ...I hate that. 

Where else is there to buy our stuff?  Etsy is generally higher.  Antique Angler is cool, but doesn't always have what I'm looking for. I need to get plugged in somewhere. 

The Bay is starting to smell like bay mud to me.

JasonGotaProblem

The goodwill website has an auction, and a lot of the donated tackle ends up there instead of on the shelf. You can still find some great deals on there and not many people know about it, so there's not a ton of competition.

Just know that the listings are written by volunteers who may not be familiar with tackle. You'll see "daiwa 3 ball bearing"  as the title of a reel because they saw that and didnt realize that's not the model name. But sometimes great stuff pops up.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.