I think its an old garcia Mitchell?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 05, 2022, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Get some more of those for spare parts.  Not picking at the reel, just sayin' it's old-er-ish and used so parts might get scarce. Especially if you like the reel and it performs well for you.

Catch fish, post pictures, repeat!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

UKChris1

I think you'll find this one is a 622 - slightly narrower than the more common 624. I had a 624 as my first 'boat' reel over 50 years ago. It is still in good working condition but indeed the handle sideplate does show cracks around the bearing screw. They all do this sooner or later.

The white Delrin material also stains brown with grease eventually too. The handle is surprisingly comfortable and is black plastic. I've never seen the handle break and many of these Mitchell reels were found on UK charter boats, some still in action in spite of the beating they received.

When new, the clutch engagement lever always came unscrewed! Simple fix, but best check it is tight to begin with. Also, the drag was terrible - fine when dry but sticky and grabby when wet, and reels get wet on a boat.

I have a 622 as well that I use for my mackerel/bait catching rod - being narrow it doesn't need too much line spreading when working the feather lures (sabiki) up and down.

Will clean up but not worth a fortune so use it.

Cor

Interesting for me to see this reel.   Was the first "propper" reel I bought from a school time holiday job earnings around 1966 I guess.

I don't know what happened to it.
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: UKChris1 on August 23, 2022, 09:43:49 AMThe white Delrin material also stains brown with grease eventually too.

Probably should have guessed this on my own. Mine was very very clean. I thought about doing a clearcoat but didn't. Then I assembled it using cals grease and thought nothing of the grease all over my fingers. Then I flipped it over and was very sad.

The before/after pic looks like a goth went on a beach vacation.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

UKChris1

I also had a sideplate that went green  :P
I had loaded the reel with a bright green Terylene line once available in the UK called SeaRanger. It was a tough line but lost its colour after some use. In this case, the colour migrated to the white sideplates that took on an eerie green tinge.
I have never previously thought about trying to bleach the plates white again. I think I have an old spare plate somewhere that I might try...

Shellbelly

Is this the same Delrin material now used for drags?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

A bit if googling suggests acetone is safe on delrin. And a bit of acetone and a lot of elbow grease did substantially lighten the test spot. I'm considering an overnight soak. I'm also considering a paint job.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 23, 2022, 03:32:00 PMA bit if googling suggests acetone is safe on delrin. And a bit of acetone and a lot of elbow grease did substantially lighten the test spot. I'm considering an overnight soak. I'm also considering a paint job.
Be sure and paint it Rojo  8)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2022, 03:38:25 PMBe sure and paint it Rojo  8)
Now hold on a second. It's a French reel. I believe they'd call it rouge

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 23, 2022, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2022, 03:38:25 PMBe sure and paint it Rojo  8)

Put some German Made Drags in it and paint it ROT

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2022, 06:09:15 PM

Are you cutting brake pad and clutch friction from the benz to make drags ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 23, 2022, 10:29:56 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2022, 06:09:15 PM

Are you cutting brake pad and clutch friction from the benz to make drags ?

Just Shrinking down the Reverse clutch disks in a K4C-025

oldmanjoe

Ah wet clutch material good choice .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

UKChris1

Quote from: Shellbelly on August 23, 2022, 03:26:19 PMIs this the same Delrin material now used for drags?
I believe so, though it comes in different colours.

JasonGotaProblem

Here's a head scratcher. The gear side plate was super grease stained. I... Left it in my car a few days. And somehow now it's clean white again. Not complaining but I'm stumped. Nothing else has ever exited my car cleaner than it entered.