I think its an old garcia Mitchell?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 05, 2022, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

My neighbor gave me this today. Name plate is gone. Haven't opened it up yet but the anti reverse seems to work and freespool is surprisingly good.

How do I identify it?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

You NAILED it Garcia Mitchell
Made in France . Those are good alright but a little weak on  Bridge Plate Shafts,plus the Rubberish Material used on the Side Plates seem to start checking around the centers. Still quite usable but aesthetically a Boo Boo .
Not reel sure the dates  (1960 -1980 ?)but they made them in these model numbers I know of and probanly More
600, 600P, 600A, 600AP, 602, 602P, 602A, 602AP, 604, 604P, 604A, 604AP, 606, 606P, 606A, 606AP, 620, 622, or 624
Next in that series were the GK models ,made in JAPAN.
The Gk series had odd and even numbers and some had level winds/
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Ok the Material was DERLIN and here is an excerpt from an owners manual in the Day .They were Garcias idea of Salt Water Reels then .

Keta

They tend to  break handle side sideplates.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

Yep it`s a 624  .      I still fish with one on occasions..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

akfish

If you want to fish it, replace the drag washers with Penn 006 060 (Squidder) drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Donnyboat

Yes be very careful not to screw the spool adjustment in on the tail plate to hard or you will blow the centre of the face plate out, also, make sure you place the mono on the spool in cold weather, if you do it in the summer when the mono can stretch more, then it gets cold & shrinks, that will crush the spool, dont ask me how I know, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MarkT

I'd clean it up and add it to the collection of old reels that are shelf queens not to be fished.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shellbelly

Yours still has good color.  Mine turned yellow and the label fell off.  I think the round knob is rosewood or ebony, though.  Never seen a cracked off knob on one.  I don't know if that discoloring can be reversed. 

I guess they learned cause the GK's are stainless.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Would one of you kind folks who have this reel be willing to do me a favor? Can you take a closeup decent resolution pic of the decal I'm missing, ideally with a tape measure or something similar in the pic, so I can scale and print it on decal paper. I figure i can take a stab at a restoration job.

Wompus Cat

This is Copied off the INTERWEB .Hope it works . Make several if you can .

JasonGotaProblem

My good sir, it's the measuring tape in the picture that makes it so i can print it to the original size, though I suppose I could get out the caliper and scale it.

While we are at it, what size line should I put on this guy, and how heavy a rod should I plan for it?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 18, 2022, 06:14:13 PMMy good sir, it's the measuring tape in the picture that makes it so i can print it to the original size, though I suppose I could get out the caliper and scale it.

While we are at it, what size line should I put on this guy, and how heavy a rod should I plan for it?

Oh!
I thought you could  Crop the Photo to fit the Measurement you have  in the Detent  on the reel you have ?

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 18, 2022, 06:14:13 PMMy good sir, it's the measuring tape in the picture that makes it so i can print it to the original size, though I suppose I could get out the caliper and scale it.

20-30 mono like a jiggy. No idea if there are carbon drags available and the original drags are prolly questionable shape. If you dont hav a measurement before I return home I will mic mine for you.

JasonGotaProblem

Was told to use penn 6-113 size drags. Available locally for a buck a disk thats what I did and its thicker but diameter is correct. Probably balanced out a bit by how much I had to polish the metal disks, they were quite corroded. Seems quite smooth now. I kept the original delrin under the main gear, the boss says smoother startup.

I reassembled without a schematic and incorrectly put the one belville between the star and the handle, and put the freespool lever on backwards. So I'll be revisiting tonight. Do we know the thread size of the small screws? It seems I got something wrong somewhere, and can't properly reach the threads of the foot. But none of the screws into the posts seemed overly long, in fact I had to use the long ones I had for those to even reach. So that leads me to think I need longer screws to use to attach the foot.

Gotta say though I was blown away by the 30 freaking seconds of freespool from an incorrectly assembled reel with zero bearings. That was not what I expected. I'm gonna fish this thing forget the shelf.