Tell me what I should do.

Started by BlueIsland, August 12, 2022, 03:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Interesting stuff. Both baitcasters & spinners take practice. Forefinger timing on the spinners. Thumb timing on a baitcaster. Both need rod-loading timing/practice. But first cast with a baitcaster that hasn't been preadjusted may = bird's nest. I fish in the AM darkness sometimes, and won't use a baitcaster/conventional. If I hear something splash and wanna make a quick first cast, it's godda be a spinner. Bad for a young learner to backlash on the first cast, especially if his terminal stuff sinks and then snags-up.

Best maybe to practice on grass first. Then it could be good to mess-up until a kid disciplines himself to not have'ta untangle that bird's nest, or, not to toss his spinning terminal stuff way up and off to the side.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JoseCuervo

I'd start as many have noted with the goal being catching (a) fish, of whatever size.

I think I would start at a pier with whatever below (your boat should suffice if you can drop right in on fish). No cast, just drop the bait in the water to the bottom, slowly crank it up, maybe a jig or two. That first bite, tug, or caught fish will be remembered forever. I know I remember my first bite to then a tug, to then a catch. It was a trout on a worm in a stream on a piece of driftwood pole with some line tied on. I was about 7. Pops and an older brother didn't catch anything with "gear".

For something like this, I'd probably start with a small conventional, like the tried and true Penn #9 Levelwind.  ;D

Show him how the tranny works (and holding the spool with his thumb, he can get more on that later] and he doesn't need to lay the line either.

If you have to start out casting, I think a superlight spinner is called for.

Basically, parents have one shot at this. If the kid thinks it was a waste of time, boring, or pointless, you may never get another chance at it.

Either way, I hope you end up raising another fisherman.  :fish

BlueIsland

Well thank you all for the great posts the reason I'm here is for all of these great opinions even if they differ.   I have a real that Alan recommended long ago it was a crossfire 4000 3iB.  I remember it from a post long ago.   It's a very cheap reel on a 6 ft 6 5-star rod.   It's probably too big for him.  I used to use it to catch snook if I wanted a thrilling fight.   

Regardless, I do think it's too big for him and I do have a smaller Shakespeare rod that he could probably still use and he's practiced with in the pool.   

Once again, money is not necessarily the issue here the issue for me is buying something that I like is easy to service and his adequate for what we're doing in the past most of what we've done could all be handled by a tld-25.   Now I know over time reels have been upgraded... But I guess the old question is whether or not the old TLD 25 is still worth purchasing.   It's definitely what I know, and at the time they were fantastic especially with Alan's tweaks. 

Anyway let's keep it going I really enjoy reading the posts.   For the record in the intracoastal in Florida we do get quite a bit of different fish everything from sheepshead to Lane snappers to cuda, fun to catch jacks, and yes in the inlets you definitely find big bulls.  Not to mention snook, redfish, tarpon, and the host of other reef fish near to the inlets in the Clearer water.

BlueIsland

BlueIsland

Sorry this picture thing is a little tricky on this forum it's not easy.  It always wants to upload two pictures every time I try and press insert.   Odd

tarpon one

This is funny. Forty guys and forty different opinions. I am a now retired charter captain in SWFL but specialized in family fishing for about 15 years. Took lots of kids fishing and still a very avid angler. For inshore I use spinners almost exclusively and I would never dream of giving a kid a baitcaster. The TLD's are great reels for the money but IMO they are offshore reels and I still use a TLD 20 for bottom fishing for grouper. However nearly all of my TLD's have been replaced with 2 speed Avet Raptors loaded with braid and a mono top shot. The Avet's are lighter, stronger and the two speed gear box is very useful. So for me it's spinners for inshore and for offshore pelagics(cobia and kings) and conventional reels for offshore bottom fishing(grouper and snapper).
Just my $.02 worth when adjusted for inflation may be meaningless.

BlueIsland

im thinking tyrnos 30s ...i can get them about 300 a pop with rod used.   dont really think i can get better bang for the buck than that.   As for specific reels i would love to hear what might be a good choice for an 8 yr old with little experience.  Tarpon1 I like the spinners....i agree its probably best for the little guy. im thinking a smaller setup would be good but I dont need super high quality.  Love Avet, and if I found a deal i would buy.

sciaenops

Unless you're fishing every day and/or beating the crap out of your stuff, start him out w/a 3000 or 4000 mid-level spinning reel, like a Shimano (Sahara or Symetre if they even make em anymore) or a Daiwa Black Gold. I have all 3 and they've served me well for all kinds of light saltwater apps. All < $100. Ugly Stik, Shimano, Daiwa medium 6-1/2' rod and he's good to go.

tarpon one

Quote from: sciaenops on August 21, 2022, 10:01:54 PMHere's a combo for < $150.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/shimano-sedona-fi-bass-pro-shops-xps-bionic-blade-spinning-rod-and-reel-combo

Bingo! Usually these combos offer a lot of bang for the buck. It's like getting the rod for free. IMO hard to beat a Daiwa BG in a smaller size. They run big so be careful. Also be careful I think some of the older Shimano reels had a problem with corrosion and poor quality finish. I had an older Tekota with such a problem and I know a lot of the current marketing hype is about enhanced corrosion protection which IMO sort of acknowledges the problem.

JasonGotaProblem

I have nothing useful to add here, but if I could still eat popcorn i'd grab some.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wally15

What you should do is NOT what I did in a similar situation. Back in the 90's I was into tournament bass fishing. Local club tournaments mostly. My 7 yo son wanted to go with me. I took him for a couple of years but I was more focused on the upcoming tournament than I was him catching fish. He lost interest, quit going fishing with me, and started playing video games instead. I doubt he's even been fishing since then.
Different tactic with the grandson (not his kid). Last year I took him (8 yo) to Lake Eufaula (the GA/AL one) and let him catch a variety of fish with spinners then worked with him on bait casting. He caught his 1st Largemouth on a baitcaster and Texas rigged worm. For birthday and Christmas he got a decent spinning outfit and a baitcasting outfit (plus some practice plugs). And he's bugging me to take him again. He even wants to go on some Canada and Mexico trips. Maybe in a few years.
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

steelfish

I couldnt agree more with Wally, if you want to keep your kid as fishing partner forever you have to focus on making the day enjoyable catching a fish or without a fish, you will have your own fishing time alone o with your friends later.

check this thread and see the smiles of those kids https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14493.0

they dont care what gear are they using they just want to have a good time and catch a fish, so use what 90% of fishermen think is the easier reel to use, a spinner reel.
If you kid like fishing and get hooked he can "graduate" later switching to a baitcaster but a spinner reel has its place or they wont be making super spinner reels of $1,000 dlls  ;) , nothing wrong on using a spinner reel even when your kind gets older, the main goal is to make the day relaxing and have a good family time.

I know a bit of that  8)
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20665.msg223218#msg223218

The Baja Guy

oc1

An eight-year-old is going to outgrow outfits and technolgy every year or so.  A spincast is the easiest thing to throw and keep from tangling.  That's why everybody started with one.  They're cheap so you might as well get two.  One to fish with and one to play and practice with.  You'll know when it's time to move up to an open-face spinner, conventional or whatever.