D.A.M. Quick 121 / XL121

Started by brianw, August 14, 2022, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianw

Hello, first post here and wanted to introduce myself and pick your brains about a reel I recently acquired.  My name is Brian, live in Wisconsin, and I enjoy fishing with classic equipment.  My collection is not huge but my go-to reel is a DAM Quick 1401.  I recently acquired a DAM Quick 121, or XL121 as indicated on the spool.  I am not exactly techy or I'd post a picture, but I may be able to get some help on that if necessary.  My impressions are: Typical Quick quality construction, though a bit below that of my 1401 (a few plastic parts, zinc gear, etc).  If I had to guess age, I'd say early to mid '80s.  Just wanted to learn more about it as there is nothing I found here or on the internet specific to this reel. Anyone have one? Thoughts? Was it an uncommon reel, or perhaps a budget model? Thanks for your help!

El Pescador

brianw,

I just PM'd you my email address,

send me your photo and I'll post it here for all to enjoy.

Dam Quick Reels are a big hit here on Alan's website.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

philaroman

foakes

Welcome aboard, Brian —-

'81 -'82 reels.

111, 121, 222, 333, 444

Not bad reels.  Your assessment is correct that they are not up to the grade of your 1401.

With the alloy soft gears, and a few other things —- they are comparable to the Daiwas of the same vintage.

A less expensive reel to start.

I have any parts necessary, and schematics if you also need those.

Wayne will post a photo of your reel when you send it to him.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Dam really bruised their reputation when they opted to transition to that Asian manufacturing process, as did a few others. It's a shame to see the down graded quality in Dam, ABU & a couple of others in what was once considered top of the line.  :( At least the originals are still hanging right in there. With care and maintenance they'll out live us all!  ;)     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Greetings, brian, from Minnesota.  Your DAM topic/question will always invite avid readers on this site.

Frank

Bora

Hello all,

I also have a 121 XL.

It was interesting to discover the drive mechanism on this model. Not sure what it is called but definitely a change from earlier models. 

But I still struggle to tune this reel... After multiple shimming attempts on the main gear. A noise of little grinding persists, but only when spinning forward... it is quiet and smooth going in reverse. Any thoughts about that? Maybe needs new bushing or main gear?

Thanks
Bora

foakes

Typically, if a noise persists in only one direction, after a complete cleaning and burnishing of all parts —- that indicates a worn main gear —- or main and pinion which should generally both be changed out at the same time.

This is also typical of softer alloy gears.

The main is of softer metal and will wear first, though.

A bearing noise would be in both directions.

You are correct on the year of your reel.

1981 for the 121, 222, 333, 444.  1982 for the smaller 111.

Nice & capable reels!

If you can determine the noise —- I have any needed parts.

Or I could do it for you if you don't want to play 20 questions with the parts.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bora

That makes sense! Thank you for the excellent advice.

On closer inspection: the pinion gear looks quite okay, but the main drive gear seems worn.

I was also surprised to see remains from the gear casting alloy. At least surprised to see this in a German-made DQ...

I will email you, Fred, shortly with the extended parts order request.

Bora

foakes

Glad to provide any parts I have that you may need, Bora —-

It is snowing currently —- but after today, we should be clear for 7 to 10 days with a high pressure system moving in.

Roads will be the only issue —- but I can now start mailing out some reels and items —- knowing that I can most likely return home without getting stuck or stranded on the other side.

We have (1) road open out of (3) —- and are thankful for that.

Just to put things into perspective on these later and lesser quality DAM Quicks —-

Most of the DQ's built after the mid 80's were using similar designs and materials as Daiwa, Shimano, Ryobi, and a few other Asian manufacturers.  This doesn't make them bad reels —- just not as robust and bulletproof as the DQ materials and designs from the early 50's to the early 80's.

If you compare a steel double supported worm pinion & a phosphor-cut bronze main with oversized steel support axles —- with any reel that has a softer alloy gearing —- the difference is like night and day.  In your solid fishing experience, longevity of the reel, as well as the pleasure in knowing a reel is as good and long-lasting as it should be.

Excuses need to be made for the latter reels —- whether DQ, Shimano, Daiwa, or whatever. 

The DAM Quicks, Penns, ABU Cardinals, and the smaller & larger Mitchells (not the 300 sized reels) —- do not even know anything about excuses.  They just go about doing the job they were designed for —- past our lifetimes of fishing.

As we learn the difference between this transition of reel production types —- we will most likely have a greater appreciation for "old school".

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.