"Silicone Paste"

Started by nelz, August 15, 2022, 03:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Stumbled upon this stuff while researching DIY brake job, "silicone paste". Sounds like the stuff would work great for gears, and perhaps drags?

It's pretty pricey so I won't be buying it unless I can find uses for it beyond the brake job...

Wompus Cat

I  use a product called Sil-Glyde .
It can be purchased for @5 bucks for a 4 oz tube in bulk and or up to 18 bux at different suppliers. It will   stay put in uses like Drive Shaft splines (keeps that Clunking Noise out ) , Steering Couplers, Brake Actuators, Sun Roof Guides and more . It is a Good Water Barrier.
 It works Great for the Rubber Water Pump Impellers too...
The Viscosity remains pretty much like sludge throughout the Heat ranges. Never tried it on anything like Gears.
I imagine your sil gel is most likely used the same way .Post a  Name Brand or part number if you can .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

nelz

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 15, 2022, 03:51:35 PMI use a product called Sil-Glyde

Yeah, that's what I ended up buying too. No way I'm paying $30 for a tub of silicone paste that'll only get used once or twice. But now that you mention it, you ever use Sil-Glyde on reels?

I was wondering about the silicone paste for reels though because it exhibits many of the qualities we look for in reel greases, like water repelling.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: nelz on August 15, 2022, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 15, 2022, 03:51:35 PMI use a product called Sil-Glyde

Yeah, that's what I ended up buying too. No way I'm paying $30 for a tub of silicone paste that'll only get used once or twice. But now that you mention it, you ever use Sil-Glyde on reels?

I was wondering about the silicone paste for reels though because it exhibits many of the qualities we look for in reel greases, like water repelling.

Well like I mentioned .The Viscosity is reely thick and stays that way . It is like Peanut Butter .  I have NOT used it on Reels . Not opposed to it just ain't done it . Got too many other oils and greases been working forever .

jurelometer

Interesting question!

Here is the SDS on Sil-Glyde.  Looks like it is about half castor oil, so it is not a pure silicone oil based product.  Castor oil might be used to make the product less expensive, and it plays well with most elastomers. 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0630/9724/1813/files/Sil-Glyde-Grease_US-GHS-SDS-FINAL_09_07_2018.pdf?v=1652967544

I could be confused here, but the stuff that I am used to seeing  described as silicone paste is a dialectic grease made from just silicone oil and some kind of fancy processed silica as a filler.   Expensive stuff.  Here is the 3M product:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40070802/ 

These silicone pastes are very thick, like NLGI 3.  Designed to stay put to provide a protective seal first, and a sliding lubricant second.  Probably too thick for reel use.

I am also curious if there is a silicone based product out there that has a formulation that would match reel use.  Silicone oils might not do a good enough job of staying put on metal.  They use it mostly for plastics and as a inert/clear hydraulic fluid for sciency stuff.  I was looking into getting some for refilling a a vacuum gauge dial.  About USD $300 per gallon.  Or about the same price as 10 new gauges.

But right now for greases, It would be hard to get me off of my Super Lube (presumably non silicone) grease. I lurve the stuff.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

I thought superlube was silicone based? Or do they just also make silicone based grease?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

You are absolutely right, Dave —-

SuperLube is excellent, and a good value economically.

Stays in place, washes out easily with cleaners when servicing, and is readily available.

20 or 25 years ago, I would buy 1 pound tubs of a clear reel grease from Southwestern Reel Service & Parts in Dallas, Texas.

It had no list of ingredients or claimed results.  But it worked, felt, looked, and was just as effective as the clear SuperLube.  Might have been the same stuff.

A lot of reel shops re-package their preferred greases and oils that they buy in large drums from other manufacturers.

Here is a bottle from Wild River —- it is just called "Reel Oil".

It was good, but after I switched to WRL191S about 20 years ago —- I have never found anything better.  It adheres to metals very well, even in Salt Water conditions, stays in place, is synthetic, and just keeps working.

The WRL191S stands for "Wire Rope Lubricant", and the "S" is Salt Water.

It is used for heavy industrial applications where water, salt water, freezing temperatures, and constant use are encountered.  Offshore dredging, railroads, construction companies, heavy equipment crane operators, NASA, the Military, and many other large operations buy it in 55 gallon drums.  It stays in place and just washes out when serviced.

I buy it by the gallon once or twice a year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 15, 2022, 06:35:11 PMI thought superlube was silicone based? Or do they just also make silicone based grease?
They make silicone oil and grease, and the regular stuff (NSF safe but no ingredients listed on the SDS). I don't think that their regular grease is is silicone based, as it is listed as compatible with silicone. Anything with silicone oil in it will degrade silicone.  Sort of a rule of thumb for plastics/elastomers and lubricants- likes attract.  If your part is made from the same oil as is used in the lubricant, it is more likely to get absorbed.  That is one reason why they use silicone grease for sealing and protecting rubber parts, as the rubber seals on non-food/science machinery are usually not silicone.

Anyways - getting back to what Fred said, once I found Super Lube, my tub of Cal's is just sitting there getting older and more separated.  Only have a weeks worth of fishing it on cork drags, but so far Super Lube is the best drag lube for cork that I have found.

Assume that the WRL191s is Jaymors 191s (from Fresno!):  Their web site irked me.  No details on anything.  No viscosity, no compatibility charts, no information on marine use, no SDS.  According to Jaymor, it is the perfect lubricant and penetrating oil for absolutely every situation and is compatible with everything, so we just shouldn't worry our pretty little heads about technical stuff, and just buy it.

And the product choices are not very friendly:  a 12 oz spray can, a tiny oiler pen, or by the gallon or more. 

Fred's recommendation carries a lot of weight with me. Otherwise I would ignore these guys.  If I run into the oiler pen in a store, and feel like lightening my wallet by 7 bux, I will give it a try.

-J

foakes

Dave, I have used it on thousands of reels over the last 20 years.

And would not use it if it didn't work extremely well.

As for specs —- I guess that is important —- but at the end of the day —- it is just fishing reels —- and it works with no side effects, damage, and really stays in place until the next service.

It may be good to know every detail about how something works, and the theory behind it —- but for me, it isn't necessary to understand all of the principles behind electricity —- I just want to know how to turn on the light switch.  😄😄😄

Shoot me your mailing address and I will send you 5 ounces in a Heinz 57 bottle at N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

I need to find some of that here in Canada.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

JasonGotaProblem

Well then. I've been using the silicone based one on my reels, not realizing there was a difference. In fact I've almost gone thru a tube. Seems to be working just fine though.

jurelometer

I
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 16, 2022, 01:21:37 AMWell then. I've been using the silicone based one on my reels, not realizing there was a difference. In fact I've almost gone thru a tube. Seems to be working just fine though.

Interesting...

JasonGotaProblem

Yup, unintentional lab rat over here.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 16, 2022, 10:43:47 AMYup, unintentional lab rat over here.
Ya got it Bass Ackwards .
You are the Tester and the Reel is the Lab Rat .
No Biggie as I have used some of my old Screwdrivers as Chisels for many years and Ratchets as Hammers. The new stuff says Quite the Contrary.
What ever Floats Your Boat. ;D

philaroman

nobody askin' the IMPORTANT QUESTION:
howdoesitTASTE?  ...better than Elmer's?