Microlite Handle Washers

Started by sandbar, August 16, 2022, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I really need to pay more attention to the pictures or lack of pictures on EBay. Taking this apart tonight.
Split washer and regular washer added to the crank. What could be the reason?

sandbar

oldmanjoe

Looks like 3 washers there , 2 are not stock just the brass looking is stock.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

The axle thread is really fine on these —- and if folks cross thread them —- the end of the crank axle will not bite into the thread on the crank thumb nut.

So someone likely added some spacers just so the back part of the threads would still bite.

No big deal.  I will send a complete cranks assembly your way, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

sandbar

I got back on this one today. The punch pin was tough to remove, but it came out. It had a slight bend to it.
I took off the extra washers and had to wrap black duct tape around the knurled nut to get it off with pliers. Once loosened, the nut threaded off with no issues. The axle thread was not damaged.
It looks to me like someone didn't understand how the knurled nut works on these reels and thought that they had to fill the gap with washers when all they had to do was back off the nut until it tightened up the handle assembly. The c-clip was holding the axle tight to the body, so there was really no issue.
Perhaps alcohol was involved? 🤷

oldmanjoe

I tend to think some one was snapping their suspender straps admiring their fixings .. 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

sandbar

Instead of filling the gap with washers, all they had to do was back off the knurled nut to tighten the assembly.90AECB70-C554-4DCB-B3E7-0B4B8FB77CF7.jpeg90AECB70-C554-4DCB-B3E7-0B4B8FB77CF7.jpeg90AECB70-C554-4DCB-B3E7-0B4B8FB77CF7.jpeg