Penn 625 manual downriggers...

Started by Jeffro, August 17, 2022, 03:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffro

I've been using two of these riggers for many years and then an a/r spring broke.  Easy fix.  Then it broke again... and again.  I can't seem to get one to last more than a short time. Are they just weak from old stock??  Mystic talks about a design change of the ratchet and a newer longer dog but uses the same spring.  Anyone know what drove the change?  Mine use the old stubby dog.

Shellbelly

Seems to be a common problem for some.  The only solution I've seen so far is "carry spare springs".  NOT what you wanna hear, but it seems the other choice is to upgrade before it causes yelling and throwing stuff. 

Are the springs breaking at the same place each time?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Hardy Boy

Sell them and buy a couple of Scotty down riggers ................... then don't worry.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

whalebreath

Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 19, 2022, 03:54:44 PMSell them and buy a couple of Scotty down riggers ................... then don't worry.
Quite agree but Penn was/is the Greatest Manual Ever  a real pleasure to use-that's if you like manual downriggers.

oldmanjoe

How hard could it be to use a common SS spring and do a little bending ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Quote from: whalebreath on August 20, 2022, 05:12:31 AM
Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 19, 2022, 03:54:44 PMSell them and buy a couple of Scotty down riggers ................... then don't worry.
Quite agree but Penn was/is the Greatest Manual Ever  a real pleasure to use-that's if you like manual downriggers.
I used those same downriggers for years and really liked them.  I gave them away when I sold my boat.  We all make mistakes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.