DAM Quick 5001

Started by foakes, August 18, 2022, 06:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1982.

DQ just came out with another line of reels that were a slight upgrade over the previous series.

The largest in this series was the 5001. 

This is considered by many, including Alan Hawk, to be the "Godfather" of all of today's highest quality Salt Water Spinning reels.  Here is his review —-

Even if you are not interested in this reel, grab a beverage and read Alan's excellent pictorial review.  It will be very enlightening for those who understand this type of fishing and this reel.

https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/quk51.html

At 27 ounces, it carries 560 yards of 15 lb. Mono, 470/20, 325/25, 250/30, and 175 of 40.  It will handle braid easily, and will hold more yardage with braid.

High Speed gearing at 1:4.

This is a Big Game reel built for some of the World's largest fish.  Sharks, grouper, stripers, and any other Pelagic Species.

Large Drag Discs under and over the spool.

For long range trips, surf-fishing, Central America & Mexico, and the East Coast or Gulf Shores —- this is nearly perfect.

Here is one New in Box —- the box is worn, but has protected it well for 40 years of storage.

Never rod-mounted, never spooled with line.  It is new.

$200 + I will split the shipping.  So figure $205.

No payment until you receive it and are satisfied.

It comes with all paperwork & the spare parts kit to switch it from left side to right side, extra shims, and an extra bail spring.

I also tossed in a brand new spool.  These are going for $60 + tax & shipping, if you can find one.

So this actually makes the reel about $130, in reality.

Depending on the buyer's intentions and wishes —- I will also do a complete pre-fish service on this reel, if wanted, at no additional charge.  This is a $40 service on this size reel.

Or, I will leave it as-is.  It has never been cracked open —- and operates smoothly and perfectly currently.

Your call...

Let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Speaking of highly capable drag designs...

Dang it Fred! I really want this! Can't afford it currently though.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Yes, it is an expensive reel, Jason —-

And it is not for everyone.

However, when you consider what a modern HD Salt Spinner costs —- $400 to $1300 —- this could be considered a bargain by many.

Plus, a guy goes out and spends $3000 to $6000 for a long range or a remote fishing resort experience —- this price becomes forgotten. 

What remains of the trip are the memories —- but this reel will be with you for the rest of your life —- and make more memories.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, did DQ make any non-skirted-spool models like this?  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

JasonGotaProblem

I fear I'm being misunderstood. This offering is worth every penny of triple what you're asking. That's not the problem. With what I've spent on tackle and parts this month, I'm not sure this purchase is in the best interest of my marriage. And I doubt this listing will last the afternoon. Beautiful reel.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: Aiala on August 18, 2022, 08:21:03 PMFred, did DQ make any non-skirted-spool models like this?  :)

~A~

Hi Lannie —-

Of course, there are the 270 Supers, the 550, and the 550N.

There was also a very, very rare European only Edition of (4) reels.  These had non-skirted spools.  The spools were graphite.

These were the 220P, 330P, 440P, and the 550P.

I currently have the next size under the 5001, which is a 440P in excellent condition, and a 330P in similar condition.

Sold a 220P to Dennis a few months ago.

And have never seen a decent 550P.  Just a couple of very rough ones in Europe.

The 440P and the 330P are available, if you are interested.

These incorporate some features of the "N" series with the Champion series —-  it does not have the aluminum skirted spool.

My recommendation would be an aluminum skirted spool for smooth and longer casting, plus durability.

But each of us have our own ideas and preferences.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 18, 2022, 08:59:28 PMI fear I'm being misunderstood. This offering is worth every penny of triple what you're asking. That's not the problem. With what I've spent on tackle and parts this month, I'm not sure this purchase is in the best interest of my marriage. And I doubt this listing will last the afternoon. Beautiful reel.

Absolutely understand, Jason —-

There will always be a time, and a place, and more reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

I read Mr. Hawk's comments quite awhile back.  I wouldn't say he gushed, but I think he is English and you know how reserved gents over there can be.  So, pretty close to gushed.

If somebody out there goes for the really big ones, you may not be able to find a reel anywhere at any price that will do what this one will do.

Frank

sandbar

How much would a 220P NIB be worth?

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on August 18, 2022, 09:29:18 PMHow much would a 220P NIB be worth?

IMO, $125 to $200.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

Fred
If you are interested I have one that I will probably never fish. I bought a really nice 5001 a couple years ago but once I got it it seemed so large that I couldn't imagine ever using it. I sold it to Rivverat. I've regretted it ever since.
Partial trade perhaps?
Just throwing it out there for your consideration. I can put it in the mail tomorrow if you are interested.
-Steve

foakes

I put that NIB Super 270C in the mail today, Steve —-

Along with a complete
crank handle/axle/knob/spacer/washers/crank knob screw, etc.
for that old rough ebay 265 Microlite you are working on

N/C on the handle assembly.

I will probably regret selling the 5001 also.

But I am trying to get some of the nicer stuff out into the world for our members.

Funny thing is —- got rid of 8 reels over the last 10 days —- picked up (10) additional...

One group was a couple of Shakespeare 2062's, a Mitchell 308 microlight, a DQ 220, a 330, and...a DQ 1000 Microlight.  For what I paid for the group of (6) —- I would have paid $20 more just for the 1000 by itself.

Then there was a DQ 221 misrepresented as a 220.  I recognized the difference from the poor cell phone photos.  And picked it up for less than $30!  It will be fully restored —- with new body parts —- and mechanically it is 100%.

Then I received that NIB 2002 from you yesterday, along with the 265 Microlite, and a bunch of spools.

So in trying to get rid of 600+ DQ's plus maybe 300 other spinners —- they just keep multiplying.

But it is hard to pass up bargains.

5001 is still available, along with the NIB 1400, and the new 3000.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

smazzola

Good morning Fred, if the 5001 is available, I'd like to have it. Please do your pre fish inspection on it. Thanks Steve
😄

foakes

5001 is sold to another good member.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.