Berkley T108 Restore or retire?

Started by Shellbelly, August 22, 2022, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

All I can find about this model is what's on it.  Brand, model#, Length 7' 11" on an oval sticker.

I don't believe this is a casting rod, but rather a light or medium trolling rod.  The butt-end is pretty heavy.

It's not damaged, just neglected.  Can anyone tell me the specs/history on this rod and the blank?

If it's not worth restoring for use, then I can put a reel on it and hang it up.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Ah it`s a little hard to see from here , can you post a close up picture !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Here are some pics.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

Do you like the action? Do you have a reel in mind for it?

If the answer to either of those is yes, then it's worth it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

I used it once several years ago at the surf with a 309.  Casting was difficult and less than desired with 4 oz to 6 oz plus leader and bait. It's pretty stiff and the butt seems to be weighted.  That leads me to believe it's a trolling rod.  My first description mistakenly said 7'-11", it's 6'-11".

If I were to troll this rod, it would be with a 3/0 or 4/0 with 30-40#.  That's just based on how it feels, not knowing for sure what it's made for, when it was made or what it's made of.  I don't think it's a 6/0 rod.

oldmanjoe

Looks like a boat rod ,tubular fiber glass stick and i think you are right with reel and line selection .
    A good wreck or grouper stick ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

The "T" in the model number doesn't mean "trolling", although it could be a trolling rod.  All the Tri-Sport rods have "T" numbers, including boat rods, worm rods, even ultralights and fly rods.  The T108 does not show in the 1973 line-up.  The higher "T" numbers, say T63 and up, look like mostly salt water, surf and boat rods, so it is certainly possible the T108 would fit somewhere there.

Frank