Carbon Fiber Sheet

Started by smazzola, August 26, 2022, 03:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

I'm interested in changing out the factory drag washer on two DAM Quick spinning reels. 330N & the 5001. Is there any where you can buy sheets of drag washer material? If so what thickness is recommended? Is carbon fiber material the same material that Penn is using today in their drag washer material?
😄

boon

The path of least resistance here, almost certainly, will be to measure your drag washers and find a Penn HT-100 or Carbontex washer of similar enough size the be compatible.

To answer your question more directly though, yes you can buy sheets - no idea on reputable suppliers though, as far as I know Smoothdrag only sells pre-cut washers. Thickness, as close as possible to what you already have, although I'd probably err on the side of "slightly too thick" than "slightly too thin" or you may find the drag knob bottoms out before achieving the drag level you want.

Penn HT-100/DuraDrag are both just slightly different types of carbon washer; the carbon is bonded to a fibreglass backing in the case of HT-100 and I think DuraDrag is on a phenolic material?

oc1

You can also google "carbontex sheet australia".  I don't know why Australia, but when I've bought it in the past the vendor seems to always be in Australia.

smazzola

Ok, both comments helpful. Thanks, Steve
😄

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

smazzola

Thanks, I have a order in. Steve
😄

philaroman

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 26, 2022, 04:23:30 PMI am using these at the monument 
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XMZWFF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A38YW7L8VNIPG7&psc=1

You will see the 3 different sizes available 

how big are the sheets?
don't see dimensions on 0.8 or 1.0mm, at all
and 0.5mm is "(50X60)" what?  ???  ...can't be inches
50X60 cm, would be generous; 50X60 mm -- pricey

oldmanjoe

Sheet is 2 inch by 2 3/8 inch .   There are 2 sheets per package .  If you do a good layout with two different size washers in mind , you can get 5-6 washers per sheet .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare