Seems Much More Efficient — So Far — For the Outbox

Started by foakes, August 27, 2022, 06:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Even though I only try to specialize in certain high quality vintage spinning reels —- because I have fairly massive inventories of parts for DAM Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU —- I also try to provide parts & reels for DIY's guys, as well as collectors, and anglers.

I don't charge much for the parts —- and oftentimes they are donated at little or no charge.

This doesn't make me special or a hero —- just a guy with a lot of organized parts that enjoys helping others.

For me, this is just a hobby — not a business — but I enjoy being as efficient as possible in a business-like manner.

The Problem —-

Got a lot of the mainly used and more common parts in the main shop upstairs —- but due to the amount of parts, they are also stored in the other 4 storage areas in the outer shops.

So, a guy needs a part —- I go to look for it, then unless I am dead-sure it is correct —- a bench match needs to be done on another reel for comparison and fit.  Even though the part numbers may be the same —- there are enough variations over the years to foul me up.  Then the part needs to be packaged, addressed, and mailed.  Our Post Office is a 20 mile round trip down the mountain —- and this process takes considerable time away from my reel work for service, restorations, repairs, and new builds.

Then, a natural occurrence is for a guy to need a part or two —- then as he gets farther into the reel, he discovers he needs a couple of more parts, then on another reel he needs a few parts.

My Solution —-

I set up an "Out Box" that has folks names on a bin —- the parts are just tossed into the bins as they are requested and located, and checked for fit.

Then, once a week, I just spend a few hours packing, addressing, then heading down to the Post Office.

Instead of doing one at a time —- or having parts get buried on the bench, or forgotten about —- they get sent out in an effective and simple manner.

Started this about a month ago —- and the result has been both effective and a great time saver.  Projects and work are more focused, and the time saved from breaking off of a project or becoming distracted —- has enabled me to complete twice as many reels as before —- with less haphazardness movements.

The Second Problem —-

Many of the same types of reels are worked on regularly —- and some parts are needed repeatedly often for the most common DQ's, Penns, Mitchell's, and Cardinals.

So how can these be accessed quickly and easily without having to go into cases and envelopes of numbered parts?  I already know what parts are needed, and what they look like —- just want quick access and a place to put back spares and good used parts.

The Solution —-

Alan gave me (3) Steelmaster cabinets a year ago (full of spinner parts).  I just added to it, and labeled each drawer with a reel model.  Easy-peasy!  A place for everything, and quickly and efficiently accessed.

Then, Wayne gave me a Dental Cabinet affair that I repurposed using 35 organizers and a counter top extension, and rollers —- this holds a tremendous number of Penn & DQ parts —- number organized and quickly available.

Alan's gift and Wayne's gift have worked well for the last (6) months.  And the out box shelf organizer just outside the upstairs shop has worked very well for over 30 days now.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

Now that's managing your stuff and not letting it manage you.  BTW, those little jewels on the "top shelf" ain't spinners.  ;)

Helping others has many rewards.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Lunker Larry

I drive my self nuts with the few parts I have. I can't even imagine having that volume and trying to keep it orgainized. My hat is off to you.
PS and many thanks for your help in the past.
Regards,
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

smazzola

Being organize makes all the difference in a shop. Great job!
😄

thorhammer

Fred, I didn't know how you could take it up a notch, and that's at least two more notches. Nice.

broadway

WoW! Fred, you lead by example, unfortunately no one can follow you.
Thanks for the lesson,
Dom