Quality vs. Disposable

Started by foakes, August 30, 2022, 01:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Why Break the Bank When Buying a Quality Spinning Reel?

For those of you who remember when Spinning Reels like Penn, ABU Cardinals, and DAM Quicks cost about twice as much to purchase new back in the 70's & 80's — as compared to a Daiwa, Shimano, or other Asian product.

There was a reason for that...

Here is the question:

What is the difference between a quality Cardinal, Penn, or DAM Quick spinning reel —- compared to a similar Asian reel like a Daiwa or Shimano?

After working on thousands of these quality reels over the years —- my answer would be about 80 years.

Today, things have flip-flopped —- it isn't really the quality of the components that make a reel expensive or more reasonable.

It is the bling, the marketing, the dialing in by the marketing folks —-

With the exception of Penn, and a couple of others —- today's reels are disposable products designed to force anglers to replace their reels every 5 to 10 years.

Gone are the days when a firm was proud of their products —- and expected them to last multiple generations.

We don't need to spend a fortune to get a lifetime reel —- but we do need to know what to look for —- and what performs the best.  Price is not necessarily an indicator today of the quality of a reel.

Here is an alloy pot metal main gear and crank axle on the left —- from a well known Asian manufacturer.

Compare it to a DAM Quick 5001 crank axle & main gear.

The Asian Tupperware Marvel is supported by nylon bushings —

The DAM Quick is made of a SS oversized crank shaft and a phosphor cut bronze main gear.  The brass bushing that holds this crank axle securely is 1.2 " long.  This type of reel is equal to the toughest fishing conditions and quarry in the world.

And yet, folks will buy a lesser reel mechanically —- and pay 2 or 3 times as much as they could spend on a fully refurbished and like new DAM Quick, Penn, or ABU Cardinal spinner.

Working on a few reels this afternoon —- just had to stop and admire the quality & craftsmanship that went into just the gearing and support.

For those of you that know how to work on a reel or know solid quality compared to disposable quality —- you don't need to break the bank to get a lifetime reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sandbar

I've been thinking the same thoughts lately as I have been handling vintage DQ and Penn reels. There are so many of them for sale on the auction sites.They continue to build value for good reason.

Wompus Cat

Several points to be pondered here in this thread .

They do have Quality Reels Still Manufactured today however they do NOT PROVIDE PARTS very long and none of the Major Components that are Designed to Fail (YES BY DESIGN By ENGINEERS )

Now the reason there are so many of the Good Old Reels for sale on E-bay is that we have several Generations of BRATS that Grew up not caring  about Quality ,Durablity,  Future Part Availabilty .
Used is a NASTY WORD to THEM  and since Mommie and Daddy are still working at 70 and 80 years old  to keep their 40 year old kid still living at home (Between Jobs is their main excuse ) in Computer Games and the VERY LATEST I-Phone and  are paying for everything the kiddies want .

At the very instant of their Mommies or Daddy's Demise E-bay is inundated with their Quality Well Built Articles long left on a shelf or in a box in the Garage that quite simply would has and will continue to out perform most anything one could buy today.

COLD HARD FACT JACK . See it every day.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase closely associated with P. T. Barnum, an American showman of the mid-19th century, although there is no evidence that he actually said it. Early examples of its use are found among gamblers and confidence tricksters.
And Wal-Mart and other huge package stores prove that by the Minute moreover the ONLINE MARKETING CONGLOMERATES we have today .
Those SUCKERS FEED A MANUFACTURING FRENZY .

Everything HAS to be NEW and SHINE, not rebuilt.restored, or any paint chips. AND MUST BE EXACTLY LIKE WHAT  THE JONES's HAVE and the VERY LATEST FAD........lol

Another saying accredited to many folks including Winston Churchill ,Groucho Marx and others is  GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT .

WE have lived far too long in a disposable society as a Planet and unfortunately in many areas it is causing HAVOC on our lives and planet and those lives yet to come .
I think that is why they are Gung Ho to get to Mars since they Screwed this place up so much it is going to implode . They need another Planet to Mess UP.

Build it and They Will Come and many more lil quotes that are based on societies demands and wants .

Fortunately there is  Young Blood who come here to learn about the REAL DEAL and will hopefully carry on the Tradition of retaining ,up-keeping and even teaching their offspring the GOOD Traditions of yesteryear.
 :cf
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

;D  Well we can`t have kids just standing around picking their noses and adjusting their underwear all day , they have to do something !!      I agree it is a marketing machine .   

" Why is it so heavy "  Today most people can`t fish the old rigs , their arms hurt .....
    In a few more years recreational fishing will be replaced by virtual reality fishing
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

I wonder how them virtual  :fish
 will taste?  :-[

BTW, how's about we keep this old school quality stuff to ourselves? The more the information that gets out there the fewer quality reels there are for the knowledgeable to hoard!  >:D    :d 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 30, 2022, 04:13:45 PMI wonder how them virtual  :fish
 will taste?  :-[

From what I hear it will be an Acquired Aesthetic Taste Modified to Individual Palettes.

BTW, how's about we keep this old school quality stuff to ourselves? The more the information that gets out there the fewer quality reels there are for the knowledgeable to hoard!  >:D    :d 

I am doing my Part on Reel Hoarding ....lol
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 30, 2022, 04:13:45 PMBTW, how's about we keep this old school quality stuff to ourselves? The more the information that gets out there the fewer quality reels there are for the knowledgeable to hoard!  >:D    :d 

Hope you are kidding, Tommy?

Constant knowledge sharing brings seemingly endless benefits to individuals and groups like ours. Knowledge sharing increases social interaction on our website, leads to a rise in creative problem solving, preserves pre-existing knowledge so it is not lost as members move on, and enables every curious or interested person to access the information they need, when they need it, therefore increasing the popularity of certain tackle products, and the knowledge of everyone through simple transparency.

I have no greater wish than maybe (1) person today will gain a little more appreciation and understanding about a quality fishing reel like a DQ, Penn, or ABU/Zebco Cardinal.

The truth should never be buried or hidden —-

Yeah, maybe we might have to pay a little more for the next reel we buy —- but there are still plenty of bargains "out there". 

And it just makes our collections more valuable, anyway.

Nothing wrong with collecting, buying, selling, trading, or appreciating excellently designed and engineered reels.

And each of us can do as we wish.

However, this information should not be buried or lost as we pass on.  It should be shared freely and openly.

Many of us are experts in our field of interests when it comes to fishing reel repairs, upgrades, servicing, shortcuts, and most of all —- our decades of experience in evaluating the good from the bad.

Truthfully, even a new person who comes on the site — or just visits regularly for (6) months — will have more knowledge than 90% of the so called "reel techs" who spout their supposed knowledge on the internet.

That is the reality of what we offer on a website like Alan's.

These are only my personal opinions.  Others may (and should) have other thoughts.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I hear that they taste the same as the frozen that you pop into the micro wave !!
  Get them before the day traders
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

As a rule I try to not bad mouth companies or their products unless they go out of their way to earn it.  Not naming the company my favorite salmon reel was a high $ Calcutta 401TE, the company no longer has parts for it.  They have sent (and charged me) right hand parts twice.  Their corporate policy sucks and when I am asked to recommend reels I no longer recommend theirs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldreelcatchum

I'm glad to say, I'll never buy another DAM anything online while Mr Fred's in business. He knows my reels !

Shellbelly

There were disposable reels 50 or more years ago.  Some are desirable now because they were used a few times, recognized as junk but kept anyway.  The rest got tossed in the bay, lake, river or garbage can...most likely with a few choice words.  My grandfather tossed a popular spincaster with such effort that he almost fell overboard.  Probably would have been a world record cast of a reel.

All of these products were conceived by people who knew they would not last.  They also knew the product would stain their own company's name.  It's like a switch flipped and longevity became bad.

I still don't understand how these people could change from quality to volume without knowing it was wrong.

I would like to have been in the board rooms when these historically respected makers agreed to cheapen their products.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

I remember Sal mentioned to me in a post not to openly post about something. I think it was about some valuable part or reel or something, available only in limited quantity, maybe on the Bay. Another aspect of this might be that the price will go ^ if sellers see interest in something we like...no opinion on this either way...I know I've never hesitated to share "honey hole's" or methods to catch 'em up, but that's me; I wanna see if someone can do as well or better than I did...

$$$ and/or staying in business. Could be the original makers weren't around anymore. Where I work, I can tell from the behavior/attitude of the company owner's son, that their business will cease to exist when the Parents retire, or, it' ll be sold at a loss, or maybe chopped-up, then sold to other companies...A good kid, but just don't wanna work at it, spends every spare second on his stupid-phone.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Balvar24

I've noticed the DAM reels seem to be a better buy than the others.

I've got several of the Mitchell 308's, but they aren't as smooth or compact.

Speaking of hoarders, I found 3 110's/265's while cleaning the other day in various states of repair.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 30, 2022, 04:53:48 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 30, 2022, 04:13:45 PMBTW, how's about we keep this old school quality stuff to ourselves? The more the information that gets out there the fewer quality reels there are for the knowledgeable to hoard!  >:D    :d 

Hope you are kidding, Tommy?

Best, Fred

;D  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)