Cormorants.. such a lovely bird

Started by Lunker Larry, September 04, 2022, 03:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Just love how the beautify nature and contribute to the fresh smell of the outdoors.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

oldmanjoe

Is that a pun on words , because the picture was taken at a distance ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

We call them shitaquarts, nasty birds. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wompus Cat

BAD COMMORANT

GOOD CORMORANT

a few of them can WIPE out a fishing Hole real quick .
They are a Federally Protected Nuisance like MOST Politicians.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Man, you hit the nail on the head there, Henry!  :d  I can't believe those POSs  (both)  >:D are still federally protected!    >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

ranger pulls up to a boat full of shot shitaquarts [new fav  ;D  thanks]
says, "you know, Cormorants are protected"...  guy gives a sob-story:
not a duck in sight all day...  I hunt to feed family -- not, for sport...  blahblahblah
ranger let's him go, but just before he pulls away, asks
"What do Cormorants taste like, anyway?"
"Kinda' like Loon w/ a hint of Bald Eagle"  :o :o :o

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512830/Snapped-The-moment-fearsome-pike-swallowed-ravenous-cormorant.html

Keta

When I hunted waterfowl they were rarely seen and are not native to the Upper Klamath Basin, USFS guestamates we have 20,000 now.  I rate them one small step above flying rats, starlings.   We have thousands of merganzers in the basin but they have always been here. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

I found myself under a couple hundred once.  They were coming to roost in some tall cypress trees.  I was working perch beds and kept wondering what was hitting the water...and what was that fine white mist all around me on such a clear day. (Here's your sign! moment)

Some around here call 'em water turkeys.  Now, if they would swim down and eat zebra mussels, I'd like 'em a little.

A friend of mine lost most of his hybrid bluegill to those birds.  He called the Game Warden and told him he was going to open season on 'em.  The Game Warden told him he couldn't hear him, must be a bad connection. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Lunker Larry

They not only wipe out wild life roosting areas but the water around these roosting areas, Mot only that each bird eats on average one pound of fish a day. Here in southern Ontario there's millions of them. Think of what they do to fish stocks, young of the year etc. And yes, they are protected. Those with the strongest voice seems to be people who live in cities and only connection with nature is a flower box on their condo deck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Gfish

Good and bad with most everything in the world. Cormorants... ah, they keep the water fertilized, which leads to more productivity...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

Zoom in on the pictures and you'll see the damage their guano does. This damage is from this summer.Nothing lives in the Water around there roosts

Keta

Quote from: Gfish on September 05, 2022, 01:04:53 AMGood and bad with most everything in the world. Cormorants... ah, they keep the water fertilized, which leads to more productivity...?

The bottom of Upper Klamth Lake is 200' of bird sh*# with 6' of water on top and it does not need more.  It does not take long for a few hundred shitaquarts to destroy their roosting area.  We have a large number of egrets in our area that do the same around their roosts but not 10% of the number of cormorants.   They are also displacing the native merganzers and have chased bald eagles from some of their roosting areas on the lake.  If it was 5000 not 20,000 on the lake the balance would be tolerable.  The large # is also harming our pelican and western greeb  population and the endangered fish in the upper basin, far more than taking irrigation water out of the lake.

Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on September 05, 2022, 01:04:53 AMGood and bad with most everything in the world. Cormorants... ah, they keep the water fertilized, which leads to more productivity...?

I've yet to come across anything good regarding Cormorants. They destroy fish populations, pollute waters and are just plain nuisances!  >:D  Why the Feds protect them is beyond common sense! ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shellbelly

I looked around on the net and found that the national and many state governmental agencies have been "trying" to control the cormorant.  It's federally protected, but permits can be issued to control them. 

The problem starts with the fact that they were once endangered, sooooo, there are folks that believe it will happen again if the government unleashes citizens and state agencies to effectively control them.

Until the cormorant kills the last unicorn steelhead, or its poop kills the last magic water fern it will continue to be handled delicately.  Canadian fishermen....you don't stand a chance at even approaching this bird with bad intentions.  Scaring them off their roost can get you locked up.

Amazing.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

They are one of the main contributing factors it keeping the Klamath and Lost River suckers from recovering.  Poor water quality below Irongate Dam is a larger factor for the Klamath River salmon but having too many shitaquarts does not help.  What will help is allowing more cool Shasta and Trinity river water to flow into the Klamath (90% of the Trinity is diverted to LA) and not opening the river mouth with backhoes until the fall rains cool the river and allowing salmon in to be harvested when certain people need alcohol money.  Upper basin irrigation is also a part of the problem but not the main problem.

FYI,  the temperature of the water coming out of Klamath Lake run in the low to mid 70s this time of year and is not good for salmon, it should be going to the wildlife refuges and farms.

Unfortunately several fires on the Klamath below Irongate Dam have killed off far too many fish this year.

Mark Twain